1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Moderators

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Jan 15, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think there's a misconception as to what a moderator here is.

The misconception is not on the side of the moderators, but on the side of the members.
    Because of numerous questions, let me try to explain.

Moderators, like members, have their own set of rules which I have stated and which
    everyone knows about.

When a moderator breaks a rule, they will be placed on temporary or a permanent removal from
    hosting. It's not as if I hate the person, or dislike them, but being a mod requires a cool head. Without it,
    it's very difficult to have an unbiased decision.

Yesterday, I am informed there was an incident, and I had to place someone off the roster. Our moderators
    are not special and have carte blanche to do anything and everything they like. Most of you folks know that,
    but for some reason you refuse to believe me and have some form of apprehension. In defense of the moderator
    that was placed off mod roster, his mistake was not asking how something is done, and threw out the baby with the bathwater.

We pride ourselves on freedom of information. We do not have much, if any, room for censorship. Deletion of threads is not done
    here, they are moved to the mod section where it's off the public view. If the post in question is editted and abides by the forum rules,
    they will be, once again, let in to the general population and merged with the public thread.

I urge the rest of you, not to test these rules for the moderators but to help them out as much as you can. One day you may be a moderator
    and will get to see just how much of a thankless job it really is.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

I see moderation is alive and well here that contrary opinion is recognized and tolerated, OK Justin.....er ethics.

3. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Your post confuses me. I have no idea what it means. I know it is not meant for me, but I like to keep up on things.:)

wapu

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Don't feel bad Wapu, I have no idea either.

I think it had something to do with a mod deleteing a thread which is a no no on this site.

I didn't even know we had a moderator here anymore, other than the forum Support Mods.

But then again, I am quite oblivious to everything around here.

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Bruzzes you are not oblivious and I think your observation is likely quite accurate.

Although it would be nice if we knew the details :)

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

jamming went off topic about a specific incident of moderation where threads were deleted, or something happened, and bad feelings were generated between a few people.

None of that, nor the subsequent replies, had anything to do with the initial post in this thread, so I split them off.

Posts that break the site rules, that are OT, are flaming, or personal attacks will be split and moved.

<small>(A post in this thread was moved/deleted at the poster's request - stevent)</small>