1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Einstein's Theories

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Nov 22, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

That was pretty good. Chuckled through the whole thing.

ethics likes this.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Chuckled? ... I took two years of college physics, and IMO it was a pretty good explanation expressed in terms a layman can understand. Actually it discussed mainly special relativity and said very little about general relativity.

BTW it's an interesting trivia that the Earth is 500 light-seconds from the Sun. If the Sun went supernova we wouldn't see the light until 8-1/3 minutes later. Of course physicists would notice solar abnormalities a long time before that, not that having ample warning would do us any good. The good news is that our sun is about half way through its expected 10 billion year lifetime. So don't start packing your bags any time soon.

ethics likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Your 5 Trillion year forecast:

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

Hey what's a billion or trillion? When the national debt is so big I can't even count that high, what difference does it make how long our sun will last, compared to the lifetimes of those of us alive today?

If you want to boggle your mind, compare the advancement of human understanding of reality in (1) the last 10,000 years, (2) the last 1,000 years, and (3) the last 100 years. IMO our advancement in just the last 10 years has been mostly in specialized areas that laymen are not very likely to realize our progress, and I give as examples the cure rates of cancer and life enhancement/extension of life with modern HIV treatment. HIV isn't really a fatal disease any more considering the likelihood of dying from something else before HIV causes death.

You remember Everett Dirksen's ironic humor when commenting on Congressional budgets, "A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money!" Jeez, if only he were alive today (he passed about 50 years ago) to see Obama's mind boggling increases in our national debt. (I hope he was cremated. If he's there spinning in his grave you could probably attach a generator and power a small city from the energy produced.)

These days, what's a trillion dollars? Or more importantly, what's it worth? A billion dollars in his day is equivalent to 6.5 billion dollars today. (That's when I graduated college. My first job paid today's equivalent of $63.5K.)

At least it's reassuring to know that we are unlikely to see the demise of our Sun, but it's very discomforting to consider the very real possibility of seeing the collapse of the US dollar. I don't understand how anybody can think the national debt can keep expanding the way it has been without affecting the basic fabric of our lives and our economy. Oh well, maybe they can borrow the money from the Social Security lock box. (That's a little irony for you.)