1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics Compromised by Nationalism?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The legend of the Olympics was for man to glorify athleticism and let human endeavor and achievement shine above nations. I flipped into the Olympics and watched two ski runs (don't know the name of the event, ski over moguls and do tricks in the air), one by a Canadian and one by an American. In both cases three of the five judges scored the runs within a few tenths of each other. In each case the other two, a Russian and a Japanese, both scored the runs two full points lower.

I seem to remember the judges have very precise scoring formulas with little room for variance. Start with a certain score and take so much off for each variation on the perfect run. If that is so the only conclusion this viewer can reach is the judging of Olympic events is a farce controlled by nationalism rather than the individual or team achievement we all hope it to be.

How can the IOC allow this to go on? How can real reporters sit there and not comment on it? I know the network needs to tread carefully but I think I have once again seen the pursuit of the dollar overcome real reporting. I think the Olympic ideals have been corrupted.

Please, someone show me I wrong about the judging. I think the individual athletes, with the exception of those found doping, are still competing with a hope of winning and most want to represent their countries with honor.

I hope someone can show me. Until then the joy of watching the individual and team performances will be totally tainted for me.

2. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

This has ALWAYS been the case. Other members of the forum have noted the case of a Korean boxer, during the Seoul Olympics, who scored higher than his American opponent, even though the American was pummeling him.

I'm afraid you're going to have to be disillusioned about the Olympics.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yeah, man, this has been going on since I remember. Do you recall all the figure skating and gymnastics scores when Russians (or Chinese) were in the mix? Nothing has changed. It's why there's very little allure of Olympics for me. Aside from Hockey, I am just not interested.

4. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Many of the world's icons are showing their feet of clay - the Nobel Committee, the climate scientists at formerly reputable universities, and, now, the Olympics. :(

5. Morg

Morg The ultra-moderate

I agree, Shiny one. :thumb:

The only Olympic events that really mean anything are those that don't depend on judges to decide the outcome; the ones judged strictly by time, distance, weight or height, etc. I think the other events should be presented for entertainment value only.

Swimming yes, diving no.

Downhill ski yes, moguls no.

Ice racing yes, figure skating no.

1 person likes this.
  6. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the mogul scoring myself as I was watching. Then I realized something.

The Russian and Japanese judges were not scoring the same thing as the other judges were. The Russian and Japanese judges were scoring the aerial tricks, the rest were scoring turns.

Just thought that might clear up the scoring for that event.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

It did clear it up. So my example was not appropriate for my judgment of the judging. I found the event title and Googled the event and you were entirely correct. Mea culpa.

8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

It's still a valid observation. Anything you need to know about corruption in judged Olympics, just look up Jamie Sale and David Pelletier, 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. I was watching that performance when it happened, and couldn't believe my eyes. The French judge was thrown out with a lifetime ban over that corruption scandal.

It's really a shame, because figure skating can be so graceful and beautiful.

9. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I wonder why we should still continue to watch the Olympics, after all this.