1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old color photos of Russia

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I posted about this quite some time back in that "other" forum.

A recent post in the "kiddie forum", "over there" prompted me to post again, here.

About 100 years ago, a gentleman traveled Russia taking color photos using a primitive process. The (U.S.) Library of Congress has digitally cleaned them up and posted them for viewing.

They are phenomenal. You can get the thumbnail page here. Clicking on a thumbnail, of course, displays the entire image.

<small>-begin parting shot- I found it quite interesting that this particular subject was posted in the "kiddie forum", considering the subject matter and the poster. Perhaps the more appropriate forum has died? -end of parting shot-</small>

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Wow those pictures are amazing... They had color film 100 years ago? I did not know that - so then the colors we see in the pictures were the original colors from the pictures, just cleaned up?

Wow, I must say... I'm floored with the results - they look better than anything I would be able to take with any camera handed to me.

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Somewhere on the site is an explanation of the original color process and the digital steps they took to clean it up. Let me see if I can find it...

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

...OK, here it is. A link toward the bottom left will explain how he did it.

5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Thanks - I just checked it out, and he did it through glass negatives. I tried bringing up some images of the glass negatives (at least thats what I think the link was), but it's not responding. I will try later tonight, I'm really interested in how this process was done 100 years ago. Thanks for posting :)

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

Incredible! I wonder if he knew how many would find these interesting so many years later.

7. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

OMG, they're incredibly beautiful!!!

I adore things like this; thank you so much for posting the link!!!

*Edit* I now have the link to the home page of P&P Online on my desktop - the variety and rarity of many of the photos is amazing!! Thank you again!!

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Absolutely Superb. Fantastic images.

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Omg, this is such a GEM!

I can't believe things like this existed!!! Thanks so much for the post, Stevent, this is incredible. To see the Intelligentsia, the uniforms, the faces, the culture as it was shot yesterday is priceless!!!!

11. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

:thumbsup:

Very nice photographs. Thanks for posting that.

12. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

The process used is much the same as color channel merging with any good image editing software. Each channel (red, blue, green) is of the same picture with variations in the histogram (brightness, contrast). You can play with the attached picture (after cutting it into 4ths) and combining the three individual channels into one.

With a good computer, good software, and a bit of know-how, it is relatively painless to create color pictures from black and white photos. To be able to do this 100 years ago using only colored filters was genius!!

BDD... :{)

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

These are stunning photos. Thanks so much for posting them.

Allene

14. Aria

Aria All shall love me&despair

Steven, these photos are wonderful :) I'm glad they're still around for people to enjoy. Makes me wonder if the pictures we take now will last that long, or be in such good condition.

15. Perry Stroika

Perry Stroika Member

This is wonderful!

Molodets Stevent!