1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh my God, I'm not sure what I am?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by drslash, Nov 17, 2002.

1. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Spurned on by the capital punishment content posted in Ken's 'Oh my God, I found out I'm a conservative' thread, I wanted to ask a question.

Does anybody know anyone, whether they are a candidate for elected office, an elected officeholder, or a regular Joe, for that matter, who is truly pro-life as defined by someone who is against the killing of another human being whether that human being is unborn or a murderer?

Under the definition above, I somewhat sadly, must declare that I am not pro-life. I have been considering this for nearly 2 years and when and if I declare my self pro-life I will post here.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

I call that being consistantly pro-life, which is why I remain on the fence about abortion but lean heavily towards being against abortion. If people are for killing life in the womb, I don't see how they justify being able to be against the taking of an innocent life, by the small chance of a mistake in the criminal process, of a convicted murderer. What if they are wrong about their conviction of when life and conciousness begins? If they evaluate this chance at anywhere near the chance where they believe that an innocent man is executed, then they are ethical hypocrites.

3. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Jim,

I believe it is the "What if they are wrong about their conviction
    of when life and consciousness begins?" we all must decide for
    ourselves. I'm not sure there will ever be a definitive answer.

DrSlash,

I'm not sure how you interpret Pro-Life. If you are using it in the
    contemporary sense, it relates to being against abortion. This is
    not really "Pro-Life" as much as anti-abortion.

Thankfully, we can all choose our own beliefs and limits.

4. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

I am using the term pro-life to mean holding all human life sacred and not ending it before it's natural conclusion.

I'll accept your interpretation of the contemporary usage of pro-life if you will accept that pro-choice is really pro-abortion.

5. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Absolutely!

Because we use Public Relations people to design more palatable images,
    the issues don't get any prettier.

The Pro-Life movement (as it is currently defined) has nothing to do with
    being advocates for life. They are strictly against abortion. Once the baby
    is born, it can receive no medical care, be fed substandard nutrition and be
    moved to a house with lead paint for all they care.

The Pro-Choice movement is not really about choice either. It, too, has a
    new image but it is an organization who's aim is to insure the continued
    availability of abortions to women who want them.

The real issue for me in the issues of Capital Punishment, Euthanasia and
    abortion is the definition of life as we know it. Anything else is a non-issue
    to me.

I appreciate your honesty in bringing this issue out publicly. We all have
    these tough decisions to make. They are what drives a lot of the other
    decisions in life. There is no right or wrong about it other than what
    you and society decides there should be.

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

Ive always found it distasteful that those who have organized together to express their objection to abortion refer to themselves as 'pro-life'. Their poorly concealed strategem is to thus paint anybody who isnt with them as 'pro-death' - some sort of teleological scab worker.

Its quite inane, really, as very few of us are 'pro-death'. I also think that very few us LIKE abortion. Its a nasty unhappy business, no matter how you look at it.

Its also a very necessary and in many ways humane business.

Those who oppose abortion are clearly 'anti-abortion' and need to identify themselves as such, dropping the hidden agenda at the door.

To support capital punishment and oppose abortion does not make one a hypocrite - it merely demonstrates ones capacity to effect delicate distinctions between complex issues, and not live in the black and white world of the common simpleton.