1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh Great...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

For those of us who have had the pleasure, we already know Chinese make poor drivers--now we get to deal with them as private pilots.

Read all about it at Come Fly in China!, brought to you by that bastion of evenhanded journalism, The People's Daily.

And look! They already have a single-seat helicopter, just the perfect thing for trimming those hedges around the hutong!

[​IMG]

SM

2. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

As a practical matter, this sounds expensive. How does the average citizen get to fly and will there be anywhere near a general aviation sector in China as in the US? The article seemed to concentrate on rides as opposed to private pilots with personal planes. Also the part about violation of the law at the end, seemed to have a veiled draconian threat of punishment or have I seen to many movies?

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, it did mention individuals with airplanes, so I would imagine they would be owner/operators...and insofar as I'm aware, China doesn't have much of a general aviation populace anyway, so it can be interpreted in a wide variety of ways.

But yeah, the last paragraph is enough to dissuade me from getting a ticket over there. Sounds like you go to a gulag for making an emergency landing.

SM

4. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I am familiar with the stereotypical oriental driver who always drives 45mph on the 65mph freeway with his foot on the brake pedal.

If he flies his single engine Cessna at 60mph... will it still fly? Or crash land on top of my car? :rolleyes: I thought so.

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

A suggestion in Oz at the time when there was much debate on the high numbers of Asian immigrants, was that the way to keep the numbers down was to make the passing of a driving test a prerequite for entry. ;)