1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official hunting / fishing pictures thread

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I don't know how many of you guys love to fish as much as I do, but for those that do, here's the official pictures thread. Hunters too, although I don't hunt like I used to, it's only because I don't have the time with all the fishing I do. AHAHAHAH!

Animal rights activists, this is not your forum. Posts to that effect will be removed. We don't post pics to gross you out, we post them to remind ourselves of nature's bounty and the good times we had while we were there. If you want to debate the issue, start another thread elsewhere.

Without further adeiu, here's a few of my pics from this last summer. Galveston Bay complex, the redfish are responding VERY well to conservation efforts and are staging a HUGE comeback. We caught and ate a lot, and released a lot more. Trout, well, we ate every danged thing we could get our hands on. AHAHAHAHA!

[Taking my domain down, so the pics in this post will be broken. Editing them out.]

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

This one is a White Sea Bass I hooked up this spring out near Catalina Island. It was the beginning of the season and this bad boy did pull (don't you love the sound of that line running out against the drag) He took me on the bow walk around a 22 ft. Bayliner to keep him from heading for the kelp. I nabbed a couple of legal halibut and a four foot leoard shark that trip also.

I'm getting my Bass Tracker ready for the spring freshwater Bass season. I think this just may be the year for some bigguns out at Castaic here in SoCal. The last few years haven't been all that great. I'm anticipating boating 4 or 5 in the 15+ range this year...pics of course to follow ;)

3. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

My first Dorado, last Christmas at Rancho Leonero in Cabo San Lucas.
    You might say it's pretty small for a Dorado, but I was happy with him! (We were there for a week, nothing to do, too windy for any fishing at all, until this one last day. Nobody else got even a little thing.)

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Uhm, why do you guys look the same? :eek: :eek:

In all seriousness, those are some great shots AND some great looking fish.

I am a big fish eating fan so my big question was how did it all taste?

5. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

i have no pictures from the field yet :(. i went deer hunting this morning, but nothing was moving due to the rain. oh well----at least i got some exercise :).

6. Copzilla

Speckled trout (and sand trout, which are prevalent here in Galveston) are an absolute delicacy. They are light white meat, flaky and thick, have a nice medium body flavor but completely devoid of any gamey aftertaste. They filet out easily, and fish size vs. meat yield is very high.

Reds (otherwise known as redfish, or red drum) aren't as good table fare, but are still good eating. They are a white meat fish, but run in wolf packs and clean the ocean floor of crabs, shrimp, anything really, live or dead. They're not finicky feeders themselves, so their meat reflects that a little bit. Redfish are best served (IMO) on the "half shell"... Fileted but not skinned. They have armor plating for scales, and their halves go nicely on the grill with a bit of lemon butter and cajun pepper. Eat it right out of the shell... Yummm...

The Dorado is a terrific fish. It's clinical name is a dolphin, not to be confused with bottle nose (which is a mammal), the dolphin are actually fish. There is no better table fare in the world short of red snapper, IMO. Cook it however you want, it's going to be wonderful white meat. They do grow bigger than this one, but this one is a fine catch nonetheless, because of its prized meat and hellacious fighting characteristics.

White sea bass, I couldn't answer... I hunt the bay fish primarily, and never caught a white sea bass. Is that one of the grouper family, Coot?

7. Coot

The white sea bass, as opposed to the Black and Chilean is actually a drum fish. They feed on squid, anchovies and sardines. The meat is moist, flakey and decidedly sweet. They are excellent on the grill, but I've found the best way to prepare them is baked, with liberal bastings of a homemade sauce of drawn butter, white wine or sherry, fresh lemon juice, garlic and chives.

The bad news is that DFG, just last month, closed down much of the sportfishing areas for this fish, leaving only Catalina open in Southern California. It's going to get ugly over there this spring with everyone trying to squeeze into spots around that little island.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Are women allowed in here? ;) Nice photos and great fish! I like to fish, too, and so does my husband. We used to do a lot of fishing when we were living in Virginia and North Carolina, including deep-sea fishing. I caught a 21-pound grouper off the North Carolina coast way back around 1982. Not long after that we moved to Salt Lake City where we did little fishing. Now that we have recently moved to prime fishing country in Idaho (steelhead and salmon), we are looking forward to taking up this sport once again in the spring. By then we will have moved into our house and gotten all these building contractors out of our hair.

Allene

9. ethics

Not only allowed but encouraged. :)

Nice to see you here.

10. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

ok here's mine. caught this last year in Bonita Springs Florida. my wife and I was visiting her sister and I really wanted to do some deep sea fishing but my wife kept dragging me all over the place so I ended up fishing off the pier the day before we had to catch our plane back.

I know it's not anything spectacular but it certainly isn't anything I could catch in Ohio either! so I am proud of this little baby shark. :)

11. ethics

Cool shark! :)

Man, this thread is making my mouth water. :)

12. jamming

jamming Banned

Smoked Snook (the Florida Kind of Snook) is the bestest to eat even better than fresh salmon during the runs in Canada's Left Coast and Alaska.

13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Now THAT'S something I wanna do...go on an Alaskan king salmon fishing junket! Can't catch those in Singapore.

When I was much younger, in high school, I always thought I'd have a career as one of those bush pilots, blazing across the sky in a Twin Otter or something. Then I came to know I truly hate cold weather.

SM

14. Sierra Mike

That a baby blacktip?

SM

15. Copzilla

Nope, that's not a blacktip. Blacktips are very definitely distinguishable from the black tips of their fins. That one's too light colored, looks more like a lemon shark, which will grow about 3.5 - 4 feet, maybe 20-30 pounds.

When I was in Louisiana this last year fishing in Terrabonne Bay, we were topwater fishing around some huge blacktip sharks, bigger than any I'd ever seen before. 5 feet long, and more than once they would attack a trout we would had hooked up with, and we'd reel in a half a trout. Sharks had heads like pit bulls. Very cool.

We were wade fishing there, and the rules for fishing around sharks - don't reach down for any fish you catch, use a landing net - use a donut net instead of a stringer or you'll lose your catch - don't splash around, stand upright and you're nothing but a pier pole to him.

Here's a picture of a half day run in Terrabonne Bay. What a great place. The cajun women treat you like a god, fish are plentiful, and the place is untamed natural beauty.

16. Coot

I went on a 3 week Alaskan fishing trip in '96. Someday I'll scan those pics ;) The lake trout fishing was awesome as was the Walleye. yum
    The most spectacular was the halibut fishing. They're huge up there, and when you take them out of cold water, they come close to being the best eating ocean fish you can get.

17. Copzilla

YEAH! That's what I'm talking about. Give me a 75 pound Halibut and I'd be happy. :happy:

Don't need all the rest of it...

18. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Fishing the lakes and rivers of the south for large mouthed bass is awesome. You start with 10 lb line and cast that texas rigged worm all day. When you have cast fifty times without a hit and the bass takes your work and explodes out of the water you can fall off your seat!

19. Sierra Mike

Hey, I'll go...just for the Halibut.

:nut:

SM

20. jamming

jamming Banned

I am Groupering for an answer to that. :nut: