1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Of Mice and Men

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

These days the traditional mouse doesn't cut it. So here are my suggestions for buying a mouse.

<u>Ergonomics</u>
    This is the most important part of buying your mouse. No matter what features a mouse has, its crap if it doens't feel good in your hand. I suggest going to your local CompUSA,Best Buy, or other computer store to feel how the different mice feel in your hand before buying. Your not going to be able to frag the guy in front of you if you have to move your hand to press the fire button.

<u>Optical vs. Ball</u>
    I personally would recommend optical over the ball mouse. They tend to be more responsive overall, and you don't have to clean the rollers (you have been cleaning the rollers on your ball mouse, RIGHT?!). If you get an optical mouse, you can choose between regular and dual sensor. One sensor should be fine for most people, however the most hard core of the gamers will want two optical sensors for higher resolution. The other thing with opticals is that if you have any strong light sources aimed directly at the optical sensor it will mess them up. And they won't work through glass.

<u>Cordless vs Wired and USB vs. PS/2</u>
    USB vs PS/2 isn't that big of a choice right now, besides most mice are USB and come with a USB to PS/2 adaptor. However I have heard that USB is better if you plan on gaming with an FPS of 40+, however I think there are utilities that can fix that, I'm not quite sure about this so if someone a little more knowledgable would like to add something about this I would be most happy. Anyways the other use for PS/2 is it is still used a lot in KVM switches, so if you plan on getting a KVM switch, make sure it comes with the USB-->PS/2 adaptor, otherwise you'll end up paying a premium for the USB KVM switch. As far as wired vs wireless, go with RF or bluetooth if you can for wireless. However you may not want wireless, because if your batteries die in the middle of that big Quake Tournament, your screwed. Also there may be other objects that will interfere with your wireless signal which could cause problems.

<u>Scroll Wheel</u>
    I personally hate mice without scroll wheels. Good mice will have a scroll wheel that will also double as a button. The scroll wheel is nice for scrolling web pages, and documents in word, and also is a god send for changing weapons in First Person Shooters. If you can get a scroll wheel. I personally don't like the scroll wheels on Microsoft mice because they feel loose to me. The logitech you get more of a click when you move the wheel.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well, I thought the same thing, Techie, until I bought an optical. I think I should have bought the double though, I didn't know there were different kinds.

Good post, btw.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am using the Logitech Wireless Optical and could not be happier. I am so glad to be free of consideration of the cord. Of course, if I kept a neat desk the cord may not bother me.

4. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I am drooling ... absolutely DROOLING over the Logitech MX-700.

I want it!
    I want it!
    I want it!
    I want it!
    I want it!

5. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Great post techie!

I will occasionally go to Micro-Center to gaze at the mice.
    [ It is really a family reunion] ;)

I have looked at some but never quite understood which one to buy.
    My present Microsoft Intellimouse is getting pretty old, and with 4 cats needs to cough up a few furballs more often than not. I take it that the connector with the round connection and pins is a PS/2 connection? I have yet to try gaming, (still waiting for some type of tutorial ) and wonder what you would recommend as a replacement.

I would like the same connection.

6. jamming

jamming Banned

PS/2 are not where the developement is heading everyone wants to be USB, reason is that you should not remove a PS/2 mouse with power on the computer, it can be done but each time you take a chance which is a lot smaller than it use to be. USB mice don't have that problem.

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Thank you jamming.
    I do have an USB slot open.
    Maybe I will adopt a new mouse with that connection.

8. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

also, for the very hardcore gamer wireless keyboards and mice provide another problem. Each has a small lag in the infrared signal, usually under 10ms. That may not seem significant, but when you reach the upper tiers of a game a 10ms lag can be HUGE.

9. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I'm using the MX-700 (love it!), and notice no lag at all. All the reviews I've read also say that this is the mouse to use for gaming--the lag is no problem.
    I also like the little stand that recharges the batteries while you're not using it.
    And the best thing of all...I'm left-handed, and most of these "ergonomic" mice are completely unusable for lefties. The MX-700 is designed for righties, but perfectly comfortable (and all buttons usable) for lefties, too.
    Great MOUSE!