1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Of Cops and Guns

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Jan 8, 2003.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

OK Copz is a Wreck Tech, what do you do Sam? SWAT?

ethics: this was a split from this thread.

2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Ahhhhhhhhhh... Welcome Sam, Badge Sister!!! :thumbsup:

pssssst... CopZ... brother... watch yerself... she's packing heat!!! :nut:

BDD... :{) class of 1969

3. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Hell, I bought it for her. A Glock model 19, her Christmas present. Gotta love it... :)

4. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

oD?sti]Originally posted by jamming [/i]
    OK Copz is a Wreck Tech, what do you do Sam? SWAT? [/QUOTE]

Yeah that would be fun!

No I do pretty much everything. I work in a small beachfront town that has only one officer on duty per shift. The summers are pretty interesting. But the winter is down right boring. Until the stupid burglars come out that is. But they usually stay in our sister city. Caught some one time helping out a neighboring community, When asked if they had committed any burgs in my town that I didn't know about yet they replied " No way there are to many damn cops in that town. " Even though there is only one of us at a time we stay highly visible.

I also run the youth program my agency sponsors. A new resident asked me the other day " Oh you're involved in the youth program? " My reply was said with a giggle " No I am the youth program. "
    :haha:

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Cool, if you guys ever decide you want to Move, to Florida I know the Police Chief in one Florida Town.

6. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

Is it near the water? I have to be able to wet a line at least once every couple of weeks or I go into withdrawal!:chuck:

7. jamming

jamming Banned

It is a Beach Town.

8. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

Boy do I ever!!!:love:

I was having alot of lower back trouble with the weight and position of the Rugger P85 I had.

Ever since I started carrying the Glock in a low tact. holster, my lower back pain has gone away.

Now if I could just fix the problems with the upper back.;)

9. BigDeputyDog

Ahh... the Ruger P85... a front ramp big enough to land a 747!! ;)

(I carry my Glock 23 in a Galco holster, modified by a leathercrafter to my design) :)

BDD... :{)

10. jamming

jamming Banned

Do you guys you the normal sights or do you use something for quick aquisition? I had two Pistols I loved, my Desert Eagle and my H&K.

11. Copzilla

Hell yes, it never failed on a round feed or an eject... It had an ejection port you could pass a newborn baby through.

I bought that P85 on police surplus, it was brand new, probably had 50 rounds through it, for $100. Included were 4 pre-ban magazines.

The P85 is a fine firearm, very reliable. A fine firearm to own, although rather un-sexy. But at $100, it was a no-brainer.

12. Copzilla

I duty-carried a Desert Eagle Baby .40 for about 8 years. Fine firearm, very cool polygonal rifling, accurate to the nth.

I have always kept stock sights on my guns, but then again, I'm not a gear queer. I buy only what I have to have and always tell myself I don't need this or that.

My cop buddy Joe (the one I work closest with), he's a total FUH-REAK about gear. He loads up with everything known to mankind. I swear, he has like 3 riot bags full of crap he has to throw in the trunk every time he loads up. Shotgun, traffic control vest, law books, clipboards, papers and pens to last a lifetime, flares, traffic cones, plus entertainment stuff like music CDs, etc... Me, they're lucky if I carry a ticket book in my back pocket... LOL!

13. jamming

jamming Banned

Well, Quick Acquistion Sights are considered a lifesaver in the kill or be killed world, so I don't quite lump them in to gear unless your definition of gear includes your vest. I think your lucky to have vests, we wore the tee's because we shouldn't advertise that we were doing so.

14. BigDeputyDog

My Glock has contrast color rear sights / front blade...

I've thought about going to the tritium sights but, if I can see them in the dark, then so can the bad guys... ;)

15. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

Hell he considers anything more than one pen gear. rofl

But don't let him fool you he is actually a gear queer too. It's just that his really cool shit is worth thousands and we didn't have to pay for any of it. Just ask him about all of his accident mapping equipment.

16. BigDeputyDog

Accident mapping equipment????

All ya need is two 100' tapes, some pavement marking paint and a slide rule!!! :haha:

danged young whipper snapper reconstructionists and their new fangled toys... rofl

17. Copzilla

Guilty!

Now BDD, I can still handle a tape measure... So you old guys ain't got one on me there. ;)

Actually, I don't blame Joe at all; you can never put him in a situation where he's not prepared for it. It's just fun to screw with him about it.

And no, jamming, I would not consider a vest to be anything other than essential equipment.

18. jamming

jamming Banned

Then I submit, take a look yourself at the quick aquisition sights out there, I like your post here and wouldn't want that to change cause you were too old and slow(like BDD) . Those are the one of the two things that I advise for you in your job, the other is your vest. Remember too those vests break down with wear, donate them to those international agencies that would rather have old vest for poor international police officers than to have no vests at all, as a tax write off. God bless you three for the work you do.
    :thumbsup:

19. Copzilla

Well, thanks Jamming, I appreciate it.

I think the reason I have not ever purchased any sights other than stock sights is because the bulk of shooting confrontations happen over the sights anyway... Point and click interface. Most armed confrontations happen within 10 feet.

So I have generally regarded the person behind the firearm to be the most critical component. The training to take cover while drawing, being alert BEFORE the armed confrontation, etc, to me anyway, the most important things.

20. jamming

jamming Banned

Most of these sights have tritium paint to help with low light aquisition too, you are right CopZ the operator is the where the most variation in performance of a gun is located. I figure that good guys should have an advantage, if they feel the need. If you are confident, then good, but I never observed your form or performance. I think my rated scores are still available from the early 1980's in the IPSC (International Pistol Shooters Confederation) website where I was a rated shooter, but I wasn't top 10. I competed a couple of years for fun back then, when it wasn't a full time thing like it is approaching today.

http://www.ipsc.org/