1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Of Bombs and Causes

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

For civilized people, such acts of barbarism make it harder and harder to have any sympathy for the Palestinian cause.

Blogger James Lileks <a href="http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/03/0103/010302.html#010603">puts things in perspective nicely:</a>

Before I didn't care what happened to the people in the organizations that arrange these attacks. Now I don't care about what happens to the culture that permits it. Approves of it. Defends it, sanctions it, shelters it, sings it praises, names streets after the men who do it._._._.

I never want to see Arafat asking for anything anywhere any more. I don't want to see people on the West Bank cheering as clumsy Scuds lumber over their heads in February, because I know they'll head to Israeli hospitals when the germs hit them, and I know they'll be admitted for treatment.

I'm not saying I wish them ill. But the line of people I care about now is very, very long. The apologists and supporters of the bombers can get behind the 100 wounded I never met. The 20 who died. The one who was the child of a father my age. And when it's their turn to ask for my sympathy, I'll probably point to the line with 3000 New Yorkers, and kindly request that they head to the back.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have been making the point for years I thought the chosen targets of their actions pretty much differentiated between the two sides in this conflict.