1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama banning ammunition

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by MemphisMark, Feb 26, 2015.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Obama is having the BATFE ban steel-core 5.56 ammo, on the "armor piercing" premise.

I can tell you how this goes.

In the late 70's/early 80's, the BATF decided it would classify Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant (APCP) as an explosive. No testing, no public notice, nothing. There was no hue and cry about APCP being dangerous, they just decided one day to not follow their own testing process and unilaterally declare it an explosive and thus under their authority and control.

So, for the next 25 years, if you wanted to store and use APCP in high power rocketry, you needed a LEUP, or Low Explosives Users Permit. You had pages of regulations that you had to follow concerning building construction, storage and transportation. Oh, you also surrendered your Fourth Amendment rights, as the BATF could inspect the location for compliance at any time.

Now, APCP is the fuel used in the Solid Rocket Boosters on the Space Shuttle. Those are the only man-rated solid fuel rockets the US ever had. Common sense tells you if the material is in the only man-rated rocket, it probably won't explode very easily.

There was a single "explosive" incident, when there was a fire at a production facility, and the equivalent of 10-15 SRB's caught on fire and exploded.

It took over 15 years of the NAR (National Association of Rocketry) grinding their way through the courts to reverse the "explosive" label.

So, with the most popular rifle ammo on the market under the shadow of a ban, if the backlash is not immediate and overwhelming, I can promise you all civilian ammo will be banned, sooner rather than later for any reason they can think of, including "we think it should be banned."

2. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I remember that explosion, it was fucking HUGE!

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Correction: 6 SRB's worth of fuel. That's three Space Shuttle launches worth.

My last launch was a K550, which is 128 times the power of a C6 you get at a hobby store has less than 2 pounds of APCP. That video had 6 million pounds go up. It takes stockpiles of that size to actually "explode," actually deflagrate.

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

As controversial as the BATF has been for the past few decades, I'd tend to agree that it needs to be abolished.

6. tke711

7. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Heard the ATF back tracked on this for the time being.
    California has already banned lead bullets, now we see bullets with steel cores being targeted. Looks to be a stealth attack on the 2nd Amendment, just get rid of cheap bullets

8. tke711

Just read that as well...good to hear.

I think I'm going to fire off some of these rounds through my buddies AR at the range on Friday. :)