1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nudist camps for kids

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by cdw, Jun 23, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Depends on the group. Various ages. Like the camp in Florida has 11 to 15 as one group, then a 15 to 18 group for leadership classes, and then an older group of college people that train as counselors.

http://www.fanr.org/ is the florida website.... somewhere on there is the NY Times write up also.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So teenagers essentially. Teens with raging hormones. Great idea! NOT! ;)

Teens, imho, need to discover their OWN bodies, prior to discovering the ones of opposite sex. Don't get me wrong, I do not fear something like this, and would not deny other people to send their kids. I would never, unless a gun was held to my head, send my daughter to a friggin nudist camp.

3. cdw

Well, I asuming that most of the kids that go have parents that also are nudists, if even part time. Which generally means they have been exposed to this type of thing prior to going. Families that are nudists are at beaches, etc, all the time, all ages.
    Teen hormones are going to be raging whether they have clothing on or not. Exposing (no pun intended) them to an atmosphere where it's not a big dark secret, IMO, is probably quite healthy.

Edit: sure solves the problem of those stinkin' T shirts. rofl

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I honestly can't see a bunch of teens -- in this culture (perhaps in Europe where the social norms of sexuality tend to be a bit more relaxed) -- willing to consort as group without clothes on. Judging by statistics on teen sexuality, they apparently have no problem with one-on-one nudity ;), but a teenager nudist colony seems an unlikely venue for the majority of teens. I say so not because I think there would necessarily be a strong "religous" factor preventing such gatherings, but because our culture is so <b>heavily</b> stuck on body image, and it starts in the teen years. They'd be way too self-conscience about "how" they look to even remotely consider the idea of prancing about naked. Though, it could be good for them, under the proper guidance, that is.

Now a nudist colony for 4-6 years olds -- judging by my own kids, they'd LOVE that, as they feel not a shred of self-consciousness nor shame of their bodies. Sadly though (or perhaps, thankfully -- depending on the angle) that all ends in the teen years.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I agree, Cor, you've explained it better than I could. I doubt Europeans (these days) would be any different.

6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

While this may not correlate directly, it gives me reason to think that promoting this for families who wish to avail themselves of it is a good idea. http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/european/summary.htm

Less taboo seems to equate to being in less of a hurry to find out what it's all about.

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I can still think rationally...:)

8. cdw

Which is a shame. I'm not saying this is for everyone, trust me. If I had a kid, while I would find nothing wrong with it my husband would friggin' skitz over the idea. I personally would feel way to self-conscious to participate. But...if approached properly and at a young enough age, I don't see anything wrong with it and healthy.

What I do find disturbing is the government representatives making it out to be some evil place and way of thinking. A DANGER to children my butt. They are actually looking for the government to step in and stop the camps from having these programs. It's none of their business, IMO. Hell, I am waiting for this "new generation" of women to run the ban the bra campaign again so I can be comfortable, lol.

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

GeeI've learned about Australian culture from John B. so I thought the kangaroos were kept hopping around the bedroom. :)

10. Robert Harris

Yeah -- but will you continue to think rationally when you are off in the woods with a bunch of naked 15 year old girls? I wouldn't. :)

11. Robert Harris

Yeah. We could hire priests for those jobs.

12. cdw

rofl I thought the same thing....

13. Robert Harris

But I might take one myself -- if the wife lets me. :)

14. IamZed

IamZed ...

Pervert.rofl

15. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Actually, I know this girl, see, and she has "Barbie is a lesbian" tatooed on her left ass cheek, and the other kids pick on her.......
    I think GA is about to run a hundred post thread on it.....

16. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

And Bob wants to spank her with a cane and .......

17. Robert Harris

What's on her right cheek?

18. cdw

rofl Why Martin! Are you making fun of us? And by the way..my tatooe is on the RIGHT cheek. See? :kissmy: rofl

19. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

To get back on track, this is a good idea. High time society got their heads out of their backside when it comes to sexuality issues.

20. Robert Harris

Hell no. I want to use my bare hand.