1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nudist camps for kids

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by cdw, Jun 23, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

This is too funny. Nudist camps for kids. There are people up in arms about it...how it's harmful, it's abuse, etc, etc, etc.
    Seems they opened one in my soon to be home state! Florida...
    alligators and nude children, lol.
    Now they are saying the state doesn't know how to handle themselves and there should be a federal law about it.

So... what do you think?

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

It's probably an excellent idea. When I first saw this story, there was a companion story that showed children in Scandanavian countries where sex is very open actually wait longer to experiment with sex. Makes sense to me, remove the taboo and some of the allure goes away.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I believe I re4ade about one opening in Virginia, too. For 11-18 year-old kids, just the time period when the raging hormones begin to take over and rational thought disappears. :)

4. IamZed

IamZed ...

I dont know. Kids must be supervised. Perverts would flock to those jobs.

5. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I wonder if my kid would go to one of these?

I sent him to a wonderful camp for boys who live in fatherless homes. I had to go back and pick him up less than three hours later because he was raising so much hell about not wanting to be there ...

There goes my chance at a week of peace and quiet ...

6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

That's about the right age, although if you've ever been to a nude beach, you know it can be a downright woodchopping experience. Most folks aren't Brad Pitt or Jennifer Lopez. ;)

I much prefer this approach (with parental approval of course) as sex and preoccupation with sex is largely a mental game. Take the curiousity factor away and it becomes much less of a deal and much less of a preoccupation.

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

In today's day and age I would worry more about the camp counselors than I would about the kids.

Brian

8. pink slip

pink slip Banned

Could someone please explain to me the whole phenomenon of "summer camp"? I've heard the joke, "One time at band camp..." on TV, and I've sketchily gathered that every year, school children in the US are sent to fat camp, band camp, chess camp etc. for 3 months?
    Is this true?
    Does everyone go? Every year? To the same camp?
    Is it a requirement of normal school?
    When do you go on family holidays?

9. cdw

No, not everyone goes, lol. Not mandatory or anything. Some kids go and for various reasons. Some want to go. Some are sent there to get them out of their parents hair. Some parents send their kids for the experience of being away from home. Some camps aren't sleep over camps...like day camps that are local to the home, but they are there all day and do various activities. Some of the kids whose parents can't afford it are sent to camp by various organizations to get them out of the hot cities and let them experience romping in the woods.
    I would venture to say there are more kids that don't go to camp than do. (I do not know that for a fact)
    Family vacations are when ever you can get them. I know in Europe they have set times when businesses or departments in a business shut down and everyone is home for at least a month when the kids are out of school.... we do not have that here, so it's hit or miss and takes a lot of planning for most families to all get time off at the same time.

10. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

From a practical perspective, I think nudist camps for kids are a stupid idea.

The kids can't be left unsupervised. Adults will need to be there. Will they be nude, as well? No matter.....I just have visions of perverts massing at the gates and filling out employment applications, charting helicopter flyovers, telephoto lens in hand....

11. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Nudist camps in general are no big deal to me. Hell, nudity is no big deal to me. After all, we're all nude under our clothes. :)

Really though, what is the big deal? Every woman has breasts, every man has a penis. They are just body parts. I feel that the American culture has made the human body taboo, when it shouldn't be. Look at Europe, they have nudity on TV, the beaches, and on commercials. It's just not a big deal to the majority of the populous. I think that once we take the taboo stigma away from things like alcohol, cigarettes, and nudity, our children will be less enticed to seek those things out.

12. pink slip

pink slip Banned

Thanks Cyd - that's actually the first time I understand the concept :)
    Do you think everyone has been to a summer camp at least once? It just seems like it's a very strong part of the culture.
    And yes, family holidays are like that just about everywhere, I guess :( I suppose I was just thinking about that when I thought summer camps may have been a compulsory part of schooling.

13. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I've never been to a summer camp, and know more people who haven't, than have....it's sort of a middle-class suburban phenomenon, in the States. They're not cheap, either.

14. pink slip

pink slip Banned

Okay. That's interesting, Steve - I wouldn't have thought that from movies and TV.

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Once again, I find myself embarrassed at how badly our popular entertainment skews our actual culture :(

That's not meant to slam you, pink slip, I'm just ranting at the media, I'll move along now, time for a pre-deployment meeting....

16. Domh

Domh Full Member

Some camps are great - some are terrible. I went to one for a few summers up in Maine that was spectacular. Ill never forget it as long as I live - some of the best times of my childhood.

Naked camp? Sure, rock on. Best keep it under control though, and I hate to think about how bad the poison ivy cases they get must be...

rofl

17. pink slip

pink slip Banned

Crikey, mate!!
    Don't you know Aussies run around wrestling crocodiles, play with big knives and have kangaroos hopping around in the back yard?

18. cdw

I don't have a problem with it and I don't understand the big fuss.
    Nudist have been around forever for heaven's sakes.
    Most of the kids, from what I understand, have a much healthier confidence regarding their bodies.
    Of course you have to monitor who is there, but you have to do that in every walk of life...clothes on or off. And from what I understand, these "camps" are week long, not summer long.

Pink: I never went to camp. I used to go on weekend stints with the girl scouts. There are different types of camps with different durations. Some focus on sports, some camping, some crafts, some are a mixture of all of the above.

19. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I went to a "camp" every summer as a kid. However, it was a hockey camp that was designed to improve your skills and keep the rust off during the off-season. Mostly a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!

20. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Out of curiousity, how old are these kids?