1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSA, CIA. Police, and Now Your Smart TV Watches You

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Nov 26, 2013.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Seriously?!

They're going to justify the behavior by claiming the user didn't read the Terms and Conditions received with the set? Guess what company just made it to the top of my security shit list?

3. ethics

Haha, right?

4. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Everything comes at a cost now. The TV that accesses your NetFlix account when you say "Show romantic comedies" has no problem capturing, "I'm going to pull your eyeballs out and skullfuck you, bitch!" and sending it to your local constabulary office.

They are talking refrigerators with RFID readers so someone knows when you go for that custard pie at 3am.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

You can monitor Internet accesses from any device on your network if your router supports SysLog or SNMP Trap, and a suitable client like WallWatcher. Once you analyze your logs you can decide which TV accesses are spying and set router rules to block those requests.

Even better, we should DDOS these evil people!

6. Biker

Considering the amount of work I put in to mitigate that kind of crap, suggesting that we should participate in an illegal action (whether tongue in cheek or not) is not kindly looked upon by yours truly. You want to pull that kind of juvenile bullshit, knock yourself out, but keep it to yourself.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

You can't tell when I'm being facetious.

8. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Sorry Greg, plain text does not communicate tone or other cues picked up when you're in person. That's why we have things called SMILIES, which enables the writer to communicate tone. Try them sometime. They've been around for years. :sarcasm-50:

9. Biker

And to think I was seriously thinking about getting a Nexus. Until I read this:

10. ethics

Not a fan of LG?

11. Biker

You've forgotten what this thread is about? :doh-4:

12. ethics

I know. :(

13. Biker

And now Samsung ups the ante with a caution regarding what you actually say. Seriously?!!!

I can see the court case now. Someone gets popped for a crime and the evidence includes the individual talking in his home due to his television transmitting what he's saying.

14. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Blocking the traffic would probably complete neuter the desired features of the TV. Most speech recognition devices these days do their processing off-site, potentially even by third parties so that each manufacturer doesn't have to develop their own recognition system, they just tie into existing systems. So for the voice recognition to work, at all, it must be transmitted with that third party.

Your smart phone is probably doing the same thing, as is your game console, and just about any other voice activated de vice. Especially if it doesn't require push to talk, that means it is processing everything while waiting for it's activation phrase. Plus in the case of phones and such it also has your exact GPS location and could potentially have images or video from the multiple cameras. Toss in NFC payments and your phone is capable of tracking your every purchase as well. The potential is there for your service providers to know more about you than you know yourself.

If you want to toss on a tinfoil hat, there are plenty of things to do it about theses days. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING, LISTENING, TRACKING, ETC... Or... it is just a bunch of automated algorithms processing petabytes of data every minute with about as much interest in your conversations as is minimally required to know if you are talking to it or if it is just hearing background noise.

15. Biker

16. Biker

Seems LG wasn't the only one collecting (selling) your info.

TV Maker Vizio Settles with FTC Over Selling Viewer Data

And for those that want a nice, shiny new TV that isn't a Smart TV are going to find the pickings slim indeed. There's not much out there at this point that doesn't want to talk to the Internet. Sure, you could just flat refuse to let it connect, but for those that want to use Netflix, Hulu, etc., you don't have much of a choice unless you get a streaming box at an additional cost.

17. Allene

Allene Registered User

I hear you. We finally joined the 21st century a couple of months ago and got a 50-inch TV. All the ones we looked at were smart..