1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOW: Too Much Male Dominance

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 31, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The National Organization for Women (NOW) created the Watch Out, Listen Up! media activism campaign in 1999 with the mission of 'promoting positive and diverse portrayals of women and girls in the media.'

Their latest Primetime 2002 report gives all six networks failing grades and accuses them of catering to an 'adolescent boy's fantasy world.'

According to the report, the six networks employed 134 more men than women in recurring prime- time roles and the majority of female characters fell into the beauty standard of 'Friends' star Jennifer Aniston: 'young, thin and white.'

NOW is especially critical of how women are depicted in sitcoms: "In workplace comedies, women characters often shrug off sexually harassing behavior that would be unwelcome in the real world. In family comedies, women frequently play the sensible, hard-working wife/mommy to a lazy, immature husband.

Fulle Report From NOW (It even has pictures and stuff)

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

The conluding sentence from the 'report'.

"All six broadcast networks can do bettermuch betterin the areas of gender composition and diversity, violence, sexual exploitation and social responsibility. We must hold them accountable to all the viewers who ultimately make them rich."

Well, Haywire, I dont think Ive ever used this one, your fav i think, but in this case it says it all:

:rolleyes:

The broadcast networks air exactly what the average American wants to see - it is THE accurate portrayal of the average american mind and american social mores.

Why the nice folks at NOW dont have the mental acuity to make the connection between the way the world is and the way they want it to be is beyond my understanding.

Now if we only had a smilie that vomits.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Now that is what I want to see in a Sitcom, sexual harrassment suits. Ya, that's entertainment. Humor often is at the expense of stereotypical traits of each sex. Except for the occasional screw up I doubt if the average home would be fodder for sitcom scripts. And in my house those screw ups would air as slapstick, also the target of other groups. The networks air what they think will draw the biggest numbers allowing them to charge the most for their commercials. Special interest groups can bemoan those facts all they want.

4. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Fun to watch advocacy groups squirm when free speech runs counter to their agenda. Suddenly they turn downright repressive. :haha:

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Seems to me that feminism has been all about repression right from the get go.

Women suffering from repression insisting that their oppressors be repressed...

*cough*

Sorry, that bunch got caught in my throat.

What a very bad hand of poker feminism turned out to be.

:(

6. pupowski

pupowski Banned

I have difficulty listening to the incessent drone of NOW mantras. Their leaders promote stereotypes that are as bogus as any sitcom, tailored to suit their feminist bigotry and victim culture. Perhaps a more appropriate name might be NOPCW, "National Organization of Politically Correct Women", or NOPCM, "National Organization for Political Castration of Men".

7. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I was listening to Tom Leykis talk about this last night or the night before, and all I could think of was Daytime Soaps. How many ugly women are on "Days of our Lives?" Even the old women on those shows taylored specifically towards woman are beautiful. Friends is the #1 show among women. That is what women want to see. NOW is just trying to get Ellen back on TV 5 nights a week. I wish they would realize that I am not a bad person just because I have a penis.

wapu

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Anytime I read something from NOW, I want to vomit. They recently put out a report showing that most women are discriminated against in California's family courts. Huh? Oh, they used data from 300 forms filled out by WOMEN who came to their website and found a link to it from a page about unfair treatment towards women. Give me a break. NOW bitches and moans about everything, and they have the bad math to back up their claims.

For the record, does anyone watch Just Shoot Me? That is a f@cking HILARIOUS sitcom, and there is sexual harassment in just about every episode. And the harassment comes from both men and women. I don't think it would be "funny" if everyone filed sexual harassment suits on every show.

I'm sorry, but people find these sitations comical. I don't see what NOW's whole point is? Are they upset that people find these shows funny?

And as for most women being thin and beautiful, well I think they do the same thing with the men. The only difference I see is that some of the men are definitely much larger than average. But how many of the men are truly ugly?

9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Jerry Stiller makes up two or three dozen ugly men.

10. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Can I quote you on that?

11. ethics

12. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm going to have to go with the camp that they're catering towards their audience. Most of their audience is white males, so it only makes sense to make shows that will appeal to them. Why do you think they put O'Reily on Fox News? Maybe I should put out a report saying that Fox News is too conservative (duh) and should hire Ralph Nadar to do a show...

13. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Fox News should have Laurie Dhue on 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I won't go into who or what goes on in tv - seriously, The Bachelor show, for example, get my blood boiling - why ANY self-respecting woman would go on that show and compete for the attention of one guy who feels he needs to go on a game show to find his soul mate is beyond me. That show makes me want to puke - I can barely watch it, and truth be told, I've only watch perhaps 3 episodes of it, and none in their entirety.

With that said, I want to say I am an avid gamer - I believe I am seriously in the minority when it comes to gamers, as I am female (and what puts me even more in the minority is that I am a female gamer that's actually GOOD). Has anyone here played Dead or Alive 3? If so, then you probably know what pisses me off about that game. As one magazine put it (I believe it was XBOX's official Magazine) DOA3 is one of the most beautiful - and BOUNCY - games to come out for XBOX - that is, until the newest game with the DOA3 girls comes out, which is a VOLLEYBALL GAME...

That's right - you get to dress the female characters (which there are no male characters there) in any BIKINI you want, and as you play your matches, you earn money so you can then go to the stores on the island and buy your character sexy and revealing clothing, to then take her to nightclubs...

Give me a fucking BREAK, dude. Tell me that's not aimed at guys. And it's like that for almost every single decent game out there, that isn't cutesy - and I've been noticing a trend that even the CUTESY games are making their female characters more curvey and sexy.

You may not like to hear what NOW says, and I agree - most of the time they're way out of line - but in this case, they are making an extremely valid point. What is out in the media, be it tv, movies, video games, is TOTALLY aimed at guys. Because apparantly guys are the only ones that count in world - obviously they're the only ones that count in the gaming world, if that volleyball game, GTA Vice City, and Chase - stunt driver, are ANY indication.

15. ethics

DOA-Xtreme Volleyball is the game that will make me buy the entire console. Not only will the girls be dressed very revealing but the volleyball game's engine is actually quite good.

Why is it geared towards men and boys? Because that's where the market demand is coming from.

Women tend to play RTS's like WC3, Starcraft, or MMORPG's like Everquest, which in my experience was almost 60/40.

Action games are still geared towards guys and I do not see that changing for the next 5 years.

Is it wrong? I think morally, it probably is. Being a guy, I am biased as hell and like I said, not only will I buy the DOAX, but the entire X-box console.

16. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Now that would be riveting. :love: