1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now, that's what I call a responsible comment

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Swamp Fox, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Does anybody in the world take what a Canadian MP says very seriously? I don't. :)

3. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

According to the article:

OK.
    Another moron that just had his 15 seconds of fame in the press.

This is too outragous to even comment on.
    (if accurate)

Regards,

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Stanley,
    This is the NDP talking. What did you expect? ;)

A quote from Pat Martin (also an NDP MP who supports Blaikie) in the article pretty much summed it up, in sort of a tongue in cheek manner:
    <i>"About 92% of Canadians disagree with us so far, so who are we offending by saying what we believe? At 8% in the polls, when you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance," Mr. Martin said.</i>

However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree with the sentiment, but the delivery was extreme and irresponsible. Clearly, Dubya does not spend all his waking hours thinking of ways to kill Iraqi children.

Even so, Bush is not very popular in Canada.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Only with the Liberals.. You'll find a slight majority who actually favor what Bush is doing.

6. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I suppose that could be true, at least from recent polls, but I didn't say "what he is doing" is not popular, I said "he" is not very popular. ;)

7. Biker

Depends on who you speak to. The majority of those that follow the Alliance and Tory lines like Bush. The Liberals and NDP on the other hand..........

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, regarding the statement that was made, I think we can safely agree on two things:

1) It's almost 100% untrue; Bush, despite all that is said about him, is a pretty deeply religious and, I would have to posit, moral man. Because he apparently recognizes a need to attack the leadership of Iraq and in effect initiate a sweeping change for the common Iraqi does not necessarily negate his morality.

2) I would submit that Mr. Blaikie is probably not someone who should be elected to a position of greater power than that of Winnipeg MP. Clearly, he has demonstrated he is incapable of participating in even a debate. I should think that his incapacity would not diminish when it came to championing aspects of Canadian domestic and foreign policy.

SM

9. Biker

One could say that about MOST of the idiots in Ottawa today.

10. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

I'm not so sure you can speak for the entire Democratic party, there, Biker. You certainly can't say that I, as a democrat, do not support to some extent what Bushy is doing with the whole Iraq mess. Because I do. I'm just pointing out that perhaps your choice of words, while they look good, do not reflect the views of all so-called "Liberals" I am really starting to dislike that word. Democrats are not all what you and others are painting as radical Liberals. The NDP is not ALL left-wing "Liberals" Sometimes, generalizing is OK, but I think in this example, Sir, it is not. If I have misunderstood your wording choice, I apologize in advance, and will be glad to offer additional statements of remorse.

11. Biker

Approval for Bush tends to run across party lines here in Canada. There are 4 main parties: Liberal, Tory, Alliance and NDP. Generally, those that associate themselves with the Alliance and Tory parties tend to approve of Bush and his policies. Those that are Liberal or NDP tend to dislike Bush as well has his policies.

12. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

To be honest, it's not an all or nothing proposition. Ignoring the party line, I believe the average Canadian:

1) Would like to see terrorism stopped dead (ok, it's a gimme, but it has to be stated). So they don't mind the extra security, but they want it to make sense

2) Doesn't trust Saddam, would prefer to see him gone, but would prefer hard evidence to justify an military invasion (is there anybody who wouldn't?). Maybe we're just too law abiding

3) Are willing to see our troops included in any action, preferable in a support or small unit role... which is just about all we can afford anyways.

4) Are made nervous by the unilateral statements made by Bush et al in the first year or so after 9/11. A lot of countries were taken aback by some of the sweeping statements made during this period... I notice the US is now working hard to promote cooperation and conciliation, though they still hold unilateral action as possible.

13. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

that wasn't very responsible, but king george is really screwing things up. his "axis of evil" comment was hughly irresponsible and now we have north korea giving us big headaches.

14. jamming

jamming Banned

I don't think you been paying attention to Steve Moore's Post on Korea, every time a New President goes into office they test him. Their test was delayed by 9-11 circumstance. When Reagan Called the Soviets the Axis of Evil in 1982, they were out of the business in the next ten years. North Korea, probably hardly noticed the term in reality, of course they will play it up in the Press, just like they used our and the Chinese EP-3/S-8 Crash, to complain about imperialist aggression.