1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now it's possible to copy DVD's

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Swamp Fox, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

2. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Stanley, copy prevention technology currently exists. RIAA has been experimenting with it on music CD's. This one will end up in court though, as at least as far as music goes, the purchaser has the legal right to make copies of the music for his own use.

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

You need to understand that the people who work to circumvent copy protection are just as ingenius and experienced as the people are who develop the protection. In fact, many of the people who work at software companies who try to make their products uncopyable(I made that word up) are actively involved in developing the workarounds.

I admit that I am very active in downloading and using software, including games, but I almost always purchase software which I use regularly(even Windows).

I honestly don't know how to remedy this problem in a fair way which will not put a burden on honest people. For example, how do you stop someone from copying songs off of a CD and sharing them, while at the same time allowing the purchaser to play it on his/her computer or portable MP3 player? You can't. And that sucks. ;)

5. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

frankly, they need to lower prices, then people wouldnt resort to these methods. all the entertainment industry has the most inflated prices imaginable, this includes movies, sports, and tv. theres alot of people involved in these industries, and everyone of them make plenty. so dont tell me they cant lower prices.

6. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

You <b>can<u>not</u></b> be serious. :huh:

Anytime the price of CDs and DVDs is above $0.00, people will "<i>resort</i>" to these and any other methods they can to get it for $0.00. That's just a bullshit excuse that P2Pers concocted to justify their criminal behaviour.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I disagree, Hay. If an Eminem CD costs 5.99 I'd rather buy it in an album rather than:

1. Buy blanks

2. Sift through and try to find it

3. Take the time to burn it

4. (Sometimes) deal with the fragility of the CD-R's.

It costs the record company how much to make the CD? Yah, I know, payments to recording studio, the singer, etc...

Know what? At 5.99 the RIAA would get more profits from more people than they would by charging 13.99 - 19.99 and hope some nincompoops still do not know how to copy MP3's.

8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Wrong. In America, one should be able to price their own product, especially on non-essentials like this. Perhaps I don't like paying $2.95 for a tube of toothpaste. Maybe all toothpaste should be priced at $.99, or even less. After all, I deserve to have what ever I want in this world, even if I don't give the seller what they feel they need to get for it.

9. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

You forget the fact that people are gonna sift through and burn them anyways. One nice thing is how you can burn only the songs you like to a CD instead of having to buy a whole CD just for one song you like.

It's much cheaper, and always will be, to download the songs you like and burn them to one CD. That way, you know you like all of the songs on the CD.

Not that I do it or anything like that, mind you. :angel:

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The model is what is wrong. You currently have to buy 10 songs for every one or two songs you want on an album. If I could pay even $2 per song I like and only get what I like I would pay $20 for a CD. Even when I like an artist I usually only like a few songs. Change the model if you want to be paid for every song, learn from your users. We now have a choice.

11. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

I am sure that everyone can agree that gas prices have gotten outragious over the past few years a few times. Would that condone a person driving off without paying if he thought the price was too high?

What's the difference?

12. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

well, the difference for me is that i download songs that i have already. i have about 600-700 cassette tapes. i wanted a bunch of the songs on CD. if i copied from tape to CD, they'd sound like shit so i grabbed the MP3's from Kazaa and burned them. why the hell not, i technically have a license because i bought the music already, right? not to mention what Shiny said----i only got a few songs that i liked from the album.

as a musician myself, i love file sharing services. if it wasn't for them, a hell of a lot less people would have heard my music.

13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The difference, Haywire, is that when I want 10 gallons of gas I get 10 gallons of gas. They don't sell me 10 gallons of gas and make me take 40 gallons of diesel that I will never use.

The record companies are packaging what you want with crap and making you pay for all of that.

I am not justifying theft. I am pointing out why they should change their model. Many are saying I will no longer pay for what I don't want because I now have a choice.

14. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Point well taken. I remember them making single song CDs when CDs first started becoming popular that you could buy for 2 or 3 dollars. Haven't seen that much any more though. Not at all lately, actually.

15. ethics

Oh no doubt!

There will always be those that either freeload or people like Scott who need dupes of what they already bought or some other reason.

My point was how the RIAA can MAKE money with lowering prices (Aed's point as well).

16. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

more is better

DVDs, like all music in general, is/are a normal economic good and, hence, as price declines consumption (and therefore revenue & profits) will increase.

I wanna listen to eighties music (am I an old bird?) and snack on fish while lounging naked in my nest.

More is always better. Best wishes, Ugly

17. ethics

Btw: The U.S. Supreme Court has bowed out of a long-running dispute over a DVD descrambling utility, dealing a preliminary defeat to Hollywood studios and electronics makers.

<a href="http://rss.com.com/2100-1023-979197.html?type=pt&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news">read all about it</a>. :)

18. IamZed

IamZed ...

I dont make copies of my stuff. I got robbed. The thief got about 150 DVDs. I have a DVD burner now. Now I think I will take advantage of it.

19. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

You can still find CD Singles out there. They are usually the teenie bopper songs and they range from $4.99 to $7.99. Still way too much.

There is a difference with DVDs vs. CDs. I cannot go to Blockbuster and rent a CD for $4.00 and then burn it. I can with DVDs. As Ethics pointed out, there is some hassle to downloading music and Videos. There is not much hassle in renting them.

wapu

20. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

If these companies were making a total fortune off their pricing models you could always buy stock in them and share the rewards couldn't you?

fact is, that while most people want to ignore the fact (in order to justify their actions) these companies eat big losses on 9 out of 10 on everything they publish.

could they be a little more progressive in their sales techniques, certainly! but make no mistake they are far from achieving the outlandish profit margins people seem to imply, otherwise we would all have portfolios full of their companies, wouldn't we?