1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not just another day for sales.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Today is Veteran's Day. Contrary to popular opinion, today is not just a day to enjoy store-wide savings and deep, deep discounts on name-brand merchandise.

Today is a day to remember our veterans.

Remember the veterans who signed up only for a four-year hitch, maybe for a little college money, maybe for some excitement, maybe because they didn't have anything better to do. Remember that they swore an oath to defend your freedom, with their lives, if necessary.

Remember those currently on active duty, away from their families for long, wearing months at a time. Think about the sacrifices their spouses and children have to make. Think about the fact that, even in peacetime, the military profession is one of the most dangerous and deadly in the world. Remember that they, too, swore an oath to defend their nation and its Constitution.

Remember those veterans of past wars; think about the places they served, the duties they performed. Remember always that they went where their government told them to go and did the job their Commander-in-Chief ordered them to do. Respect their loyalty and effort, even as you enjoy the freedom to disagree with the politics. Don't forget that they swore an oath to defend not only their country, but the freedom of others around the world.

Don't ever forget that many of them died under horrible conditions, of terrible wounds. Many never came back, and some who did were never the same. Remember them.

Today is a day to honor our veterans. Find one and say "thank you." It means far, far more than you can imagine.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Raining and gloomy here in the city. Very appropriate.

3. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Amen.
    Today I'm reflecting on the folks I served with, that never got a chance to see what joys or pains that life might have had in store for them.
    Heavy thoughts.
    Sorry.
    Regards,

4. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Do you hear the crack of gunfire from a 21-gun salute? Do you hear the plaintiff trumpet calling the soldier to rest? Do you see the frail and weathered veteran in procession with the flag and when he passes by see the tear on his cheek?

My dear father passed away last May and was buried on my birthday. I don't remember the last time my entire family was together on my birthday; without my dad, they never will again. My dad served our country overseas in Korea. He was honored today at my high school's Veteran's Day program. I saw images and heard words of my father's that I have never seen or heard before. I cried. I spoke with his friends and heard their love for him and that filled me with pride. I hope I can live by his example; he worked hard, loved his family, served his country in uniform, and served so many others in a quiet way. I miss him.

I am so grateful for those who served in the past and for those who are serving in uniform today. All we have, we owe to them.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Another moving post, thanks for sharing that one with us. I am also glad that people are getting the recognition they deserved!