1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not enough news?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I subscribe to a good number of magazines, some fairly specialized and/or technical in nature, although not overly "scientific". I also read the paper every day, check on-line news sources, read here, etc.

I have noticed something and was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing?

I can read an article in, for instance, "Smithsonian Magazine", about an original research project, published for the first time ever, in that magazine.

Two weeks to a month later, the very same topic begins to appear in mainstream media, local newspapers, on-line news stories, etc. Of course, the topic has to be interesting enough for the general public, but there always appears to be a definite cause-and-effect relationship between the first appearance and the delayed appearance in other media sources.

It's almost as if various writers, reporters, etc. are scanning other periodicals, papers, etc., looking for story ideas.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Reporting original "news" is far and in between in the mainstream media. Which is precisely why I subscribe to NG and Atlantic.

The originality is what captivates me.

Probably one of the reasons this forum is interesting is because of the original point of views even on the most mundane of topics.

3. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Not to mention the fact that some of the folks here are actually LIVING those storys; giving us a perspective that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else.

Regards,

4. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I have to agree wholeheartedly with jfcjrus!!!

What tickles me is that by the time the news services begin reporting many of the stories, I already know about them from here!

5. pupowski

pupowski Banned

It's hard not to notice that "news" no longer is as billed. Hollywood gossip and the latest junk science stories are not "news". We are losing our freedoms, with hardly a peep from the corporatist owned media, which censors or sanitizes many stories unfavorable to the President or other key decision makers in government. What's left are spoon-fed government propoganda(leaks), the usual disaster stories(crime, war, accidents, etc) and fluff from other sources. Independent journalism and investigative reporting, are dead or dying. Democracy will soon follow.

The un-restrained media mergers that began in the Reagan administration have reduced the source of 95% of America's news to a handfull of media conglomerates. The same entities control most of the recording and motion picture industry, and thus have an extraordinary ability to impact our culture and beliefs. Some of these corporations are foreign controlled, such as Newscorp(UK), right wing tycoon Rupert Murdock's media empire (Fox news). The FCC is in the process of removing some of the last restrictions on ownership of broadcast properties, which will allow corporatists to dominate local or regional media. Control the information to control the nation.

6. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

What you could be seeing is the delay of "press release". Often, when authors of scientific papers publish important works, the very next thing they do (when the paper is actually in print) is to do a press release. This takes time, depending on the news worthiness of the story. If it was a cure for cancer, you'd bet the press release would be almost instantaneous -- perhaps as early as the paper getting accepted. Other work might take a couple weeks to hit the papers. Almost always this is author or institution initiated... although I suppose a reporter could be browsing MedLine, but somehow I doubt that. ;)

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Let's remember the idea of the "scoop". Even if you are not the first with a story you still publish it if it is newsworthy. The best sources look for new angles or something original, but they still need to publish news or their readers will turn to other sources. Few people are using multiple sources. My father watched NBC news every day of his life and would bristle if one suggested there might be sources with more impartiality.