1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WOW] Nostalgia

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ethics, May 7, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

SixofNine likes this.
  2. ethics

Cycling through all the zone music... damn I miss the vanilla WoW. So many challenges, such a beautiful world.
  3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

And the cinematic trailer for vanilla -- I still check that out once in a blue moon:

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

WOW was awesome then, but deteriorated after vanilla. It originally was such a work/reward game that required at least *some* group participation, and the instances and encounters were inspired in their creativity. It degenerated into a loot grab catering to kiddie-players with about a 5 second attention span. I played MOP and pretty much got bored as hell after earning my legendary cloak, which was EASY to get.
  5. ethics

You know there's a problem when the tank never stops running and pulling and you clear the zone in under 5 minutes.
  6. ethics

7. Copzilla

Oh yeah, and why refill mana in a heroic? Pffft, noobs. It's just not necessary.
  8. ethics

Yeah the pots are useless.
  9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I do miss those days. Now, with the cross realm zones, server joining, and what have you, you see more asshats than you thought possible. I miss the days when even your enemies were respected and asshats were shunned to the point to where they were forced to transfer to another realm.

Back then it truly was a MMO.
    Copzilla likes this.
  10. Andy

I miss the shit out of that game.

The one from long ago that filled me with wonder and excitement of exploration, achievement, and the occasional company of many here on this site yapping it up until the wee hours while trying to slug through some interesting dungeon together.. some of my fondest memories in that game include some of you here.

What it turned into though, is a goddamned shame.

I still long to log back in for a month just to roam around and explore some more (and just may do so soon.. it's been over a year since I last logged in and exactly 9 years as of a few days ago since I first started my Nelf Druid), to see if my characters are still part of Wum Ba, (can't tell from the Armory as it doesn't show inactive characters) and let the wind hit my face again on the top of Thunder Bluff.

I saw one of my fav webcomic artists, Scott Kurtz, mention on twitter just last week that his DAD forces his Tauren Shaman to go "home" every now and again just to remind himself of his roots, and I couldn't help but think of the first time I saw Mulgore through the eyes of Mavramorn, how angry I was at myself for not "finding" them earlier in the game having wasted all my time on Alliance up to that point, and how he (and I) practically wept like Iron Eyes Cody when we saw Mulgore and the Tauren starter area after the Cataclysm.

All of my important characters (including my Nelf Druid) are now converted to Tauren for the very reason that I felt such an attachment to the Tauren, their land and lore.

No game has done that for me since, not even LOTRO with it's story and feel, it felt like someone else's story, not mine like the Tauren make me feel about my adventures.
  11. Copzilla

They are.

Kohilo gave up the guild to Shagraas and Rainadeen some time ago, both of whom aren't playing except once in a blue moon, so they gave up control of Wum Ba to Mishoniko. Misho hasn't booted anyone. All toons who belong to any of the old crew are still in Wum Ba. Misho still plays some, as does Wisner. Perfidia is still in the guild, but her main Arizza is GM of Order of the Ebon Shield.

I met all of them during the Wum Ba trip to Vegas a few years back. That was a good time, right there, too much fun. The highlight was a trip to Tournament of Kings... NOOOORWAY!!!

I played WOW for about 4 or 5 months recently, brought Achalyn and Dizeez up to level 90 and geared them up, but just got infernally bored with it a month or two ago and quit again. That's how I know the info above.
  12. Copzilla

To me, the real deterioration of WOW is the loot grab.

Do you guys remember when it was an accomplishment to get the Shaman epic Batman helmet in vanilla WOW? How we had to assemble a dream team to go into Scholomance because that was a nasty encounter to get that item made? How about how awesome it was when the random plate epic drop, shoulders with strength and SPIRIT on it of all things, that was still a nice upgrade? Els got that, I remember. Or how amazing it was when a priest could finally forge Benediction/Anathema? And how everyone wanted to see it switch back and forth between the two?

Now it's just "I got my loot" *hearthstone out* "shit we lost our tank" requeue for another one "Aww shit you guys are already past my loot boss" *hearthstone out* requeue for another one, enter bad nublet tank no gems no enchants die die die die fuckit I'm gone... Or similar asshattery...

Now, every asswipe on the planet can make a LEGENDARY, without ever being part of a raid team, the kind where you get to know everyone and have trips to Vegas together. The requirement for real human interaction is gone. And with that, the MMO becomes a FPS, and not really even a good one.
  13. Andy

Never did get my bat helm. Lol
  14. Copzilla

Braz did. I was along for that ride, we went in with a team from EoT, Hyach, Usun, I forget who the other person was. :) Good times.

And the raid fights were spectacular. Few zones were as good as Molten Core. The early bosses were not too hard, but increasingly more difficult, and Majordomo was a great great fight. To finish it with Ragnaros was game design genius. Seid and I raided that zone a lot together, and we raided Blackwing Lair together. The evening before expansion, we killed the endboss, Nefarian. I mean, literally *hours* before the Burning Crusade expansion, we posted Nefarian's head on a spike in Orgrimmar.

Even Burning Crusade was a good expansion. Karazhan, what an amazing raid zone. 10 man, good rewards, challenging but interesting encounters. That was a great place to take friends for a nice weekend afternoon run. A good team with a few rookies could clear it in a few hours, and the rookies were richly rewarded with upgrades and a great time.

Hyjal Summit, THAT was a great raid zone. Best fight ever, in the entire World of Warcraft was in that zone, Archimonde. Just spectacular in effects, in fight mechanics, the whole smash.

Black Temple was solid. Illidan Stormrage was a great fight, and my raid team, Sanguine, JUST missed getting server first on him.

I hated Coilfang, but you can't have everything perfect, I guess... lol...