1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norway to Ban ALL Smoking Indoors

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 1, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It would make Norway the first country in the world to ban smoking completely from all indoor public places.

Norway is already one of the most restrictive societies in Europe when it comes to smoking, with curbs on smoking in all offices and public buildings.

Full article here

I am not a smoker, and hate 2nd hand smoke but I believe this is way too restrictive. If cigarettes are legal to use, what's with this ban? In a bar, after a few cold ones, you want to chill out with a ciggie, I need to go outside for this? Norway is not exactly pleasant outside but...

Is the US and the rest of the world headed in this same direction? I hope not!

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Leon:

Where have you been? Bloomberg is pushing that for New York City, too. Been pushing iot for months. Norway is following our lead.

3. dainbramage

dainbramage Land Of The Lost

I quit smoking about 17 months ago. I try to stay away from people who smoke, but I think banning smoking in bars is way too restrictive.

4. ethics

Yes yes, but he won't get anywhere here... Will he?

5. Robert Harris

I think he has a chance, but it is not certain.

6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

If I'm not mistaken, it's already banned in all public buildings in California. You may be able to smoke in your own private office if you have no employees, but I'm not sure. There may be a few other exceptions. We even had one city try to ban it in all <i>outdoor</i> areas - you couldn't even drive through and smoke if your window was open. That one didn't pass, but it's only time. I too don't smoke, but I rue the loss of our personal freedoms.

7. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

Yep California's been that way for years.

8. claire

claire Registered User

In Belgium too,smoking is prohibited in public areas.But nobody
    cares not even the police's officers.
    The same interdiction is applying in some other european countries but
    with more or less the same result

9. ethics

Ohhhhhhhh....

Interesting tidbit. Officially it's banned, but no one is enforcing this.

Very interesting.

Reminds me when mayor of NYC wanted to ban jaywalking.

10. Robert Harris

I know this view is politically incorrect. Anybody who objects can go take a flying ___, for all I care. (Fill the blank with the word of your choice.)

One nice thing about my recent trip to Europe (Austria, Germany and Greece) There were ashtrays on eveery table in the restaurants. Anybody who didn't like it was welcome to eat at home. :)

11. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

The only indoor place that you can smoke in california is a tobaco store, and we have one bar here in Sacramento that allows smoking. It's called the smoking bar, and so far it hasn't been closed down. Everything else as sharondippity said is banned. I may be quitting, but I still think that their can be a happy medium.

12. Robert Harris

A couple of years back I was visiting friends in northern Caliifornia for New Year's Eve, somewhere in the mountains east of Sacremento. (I think that's the direction.) We went to a testaurant in the nearest small town for dinner one cold night. As I stood on the street for a smoke I was joined by the barmaid, out for the same purpose. She looked at me and said, "They saaay they're doing this for our health. We'll die of pneumonia."

13. claire

claire Registered User

norway

FYI,
    In Belgium all restaurants and fast foods have to
    give to non smokers the possibility to eat in a"non smocker" part of the restaurant(with no ashtrays on the
    tables of course).The politicians plan to reinforce this law
    and have it respected:)

14. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I have noticed at least where I am, a trend towards something like this. I've seen many restaurants change from smoking section to completely smoke free.

15. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I think one aspect of indoor smoking at public areas is that it creates a hazardous working environment for those that are forced to breathe it while doing the duties of their jobs.

You shouldn't have to expose yourself to cancer causing agents in order to keep/do your job.

You may think they should work elsewhere, but OSHA and other standards were created to protect workers from hazardous working situations, why would this industry be exempt from the same rights?

Being an ex-smoker, I hate when smokers are treated like sub-civilians. My mom still smokes, and so do a few of my close friends. I hate that the general public makes remarks or insults just because a person smokes cigarettes. As long as they're not harming anyone else they can STFU.

16. claire

claire Registered User

Hi Sharondippity,

They do unfortunately.Have you ever heard of second hand smoking(I hope this is the correct English expression)?

Regards:)

17. jamming

jamming Banned

Claire last year the EU or EC Health Agency suppressed a report on Second Hand smoke that should no coorelation between healthy people and diseases from second hand smoke. People with Asthma and other Respiratory Illness can be effected temporarily, but that can also happen from too much pollen in the air. So do we outlaw trees? Inside plants? Cooking over an open flame? Wood fire's in fireplaces?

This is really an aesthetic issue that is being taken over by people who are extremists. Do you know that there are medicinal uses and benefits of tobacco? The Cancer issue overwhelms the benefits, but no one even mentions that fact anymore.

18. claire

claire Registered User

19. jamming

jamming Banned

20. claire

claire Registered User