1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norway and Rape Justice

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 22, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Back in then middle of 2002, there was some <a href="http://www.partisanreview.org/archive/2002/3/bawer.html">articles</a> in which quoting a Norwegian professor, commenting on the statistic that 65% of rapes in Norway were committed by "non-Western" immigrants, mostly Muslims, as remarking that the victims had it coming.

"Norwegian women must take their share of responsibility for these rapes," the professors said, because Muslims found their manner of dress provocative and "believe that it is women who are responsible for rape."

This is a new height in multicultural insanity, and now this type of thinking seems to be influencing Norwegian law. An appeals court "acquitted a man for sexually assaulting a mentally handicapped woman on the grounds that he had only lived 12 years in Norway and so had difficulty understanding the victim's condition," <a href="http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=475448">Aftenposten reports</a>.

The victim suffers from Williams syndrome, a Downs syndrome-like disorder, one symptom of which is "overly friendly and polite behavior and a desire to contact strangers." (<a href="http://www.pbs.org/saf/1205/segments/1205-1.htm">PBS has more on the syndrome.</a>)

The accused, a 22-year-old cab driver "originally from the Middle East," testified "that he found nothing odd about the woman's appearance or behavior" and "cab drivers often talked about easy sex offers from female passengers."

The appeals court overturned his prison term of 60 days!, but it did order him "to pay the woman NOK 25,000 [$3,600] in damages and to replace her ruined coat."

Uhm, I can only say, wtf?

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I...I can't believe it!

SM

3. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Oh yeah. The reasoning makes perfect sense.
    It's depressing to realize how many backwards thinking countries there are in this world. A professor made this rediculous statement? Jesus...he's teaching young people this crapola.

<sigh>

4. ethics

Backward country?

If that was the case, I'd probably not take it as seriously, but Norway?

Then again, this was the country that was the first to boycott Israeli products when Jenin "massacre" occurred.

5. cdw

Ok...what would you call it? It certainly isn't an enlightened way of thinking.

6. ethics

I don't know if there's an English word for what I am thinking.

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Norway is considered backwards?! The BS reasoning makes perfect sense?! Am I in the Twilight Zone? Where's Rod Serling?

So this fool gets a term that's the same as this guy got for littering:

"Hahnville, LA, February 22, 2002 - Pasquinel Duran, 22, plead guilty Wednesday, February 20, to a littering charge in Division E, before Judge Robert Chaisson. Duran, who is currently serving a four-month sentence on other charges, received a 60-day Parish Prison sentence from Judge Chaisson as a result of the littering plea."

Oh, this makes reasonable sense. Then it gets overturned!! WTF!!!

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Well, if you hadn't provided a link, I would have thought you were trying to...<small>what's that phrase...</small>Hang a noodle on my ear.

That is just completely over the top. Norway is next to Finland isn't it? The country with the 'socially progressive prison system?" Is this what we can come to expect as a benchmark of civilization from Europe?

9. cdw

ok, ok....so I was drunk when I wrote that. I didn't mean to say that the country is backwards. :)
    The sentence was rediculous, the reasoning behind it is rediculous and we have rediculous sentences and findings here also.

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Does it employ the descriptors "carpet bombing" or "naval blockade?" Because if this is true, then our next objective might be liberating Norway from its oppressive leaders.

SM

11. Sacchiridites

Sacchiridites Banned

Hmmm.. war is hell. So is rape.

That's why the women pray away from the men in the Muslim religion. It is not that the Koran says to do so. It is because the women there are modest and the prayer 'stance' is not. (much like a cat in heat) Of course, the children go with the women.
    What we think is oppression of women, sometimes is not.
    But, the muslim men, of course, are not used to all that 'flesh.' Yup. Certain disaster.

A woman is a woman is a woman. But I would definitely think that most men would protect their women from rape, no matter the culture. BAD MUSLIM/MAN!

It appears in this case, that what one calls self-control, another is calling insanity.

Peace
    Sacchiridites
    Cie