1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob WoW Questions

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by SixofNine, May 3, 2005.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Well, I've played WoW twice now and have worked my way up to a level 4 mage. Overall, it's a gas - extremely impressive for somebody who hasn't gamed in a few years and is jumping straight from Diablo to WoW, and I love the way that you can play without investing most of your waking time.

I have gone through the game manual, read through a few forums, but I still have a few questions that I prefer to ask here in this sane, less noisy environment.

First, I have read in many sources that you can ask guards for directions. How the freakin' french fries do you do that? I read on page 110 of the game manual: "If you can talk to an NPC, the mouse cursor changes from a hand to a chat balloon when you mouse over the NPC." I haven't seen any chat balloons over the guards that I have tried to chat up so far. Is it simply that I haven't found a guard who talks to players (following instructions, I focus on the stationary ones standing guard at some spot), am I not at a high enough level to see this feature, or am I not doing something?

Second, when I ran the program for the first time it pointed out that I'm behind a firewall (Zywall 2x) and gave me a list of ports that I should port forward to the game PC. If I'm initiating the conversation, do I need to worry about port forwarding? I read on portforward.com that some of these ports are used by the patching process, and I didn't have any problems installing that first big patch.

Also, a couple of weirdisms have occured which seemed like server glitches, but I just wanted to check. First, it took me all of two sessions to get killed (memo to file: when you're a level 3 mage, don't pick on a level 4 bandit who's hanging out with other level 4 bandits). I found my body and clicked OK at the resurrection prompt and nothing happened. It just seemed stuck on that resurrection prompt. I had to exit the game and reenter, and when I did I was resurrected.

Second, I completed the quest to get 12 bandits' bandannas. When I brought them back to the quest dude my reward was a better staff (hey, I'm a mage). However, I had the same sort of "stuck" problem at the "complete quest" prompt that I did at the resurrection prompt. Should I have ditched my old staff first, or does this seem like a glitch at the server end of things? Not a big loss as mages don't do melee, but I was just wondering.

2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

1: The guards you can talk to are the ones in major towns and cities such as Stormwind and Ironforge. They give you directions to shops and trainers, etc.

2: Not really sure about the port. I don't use the auto patch system when I do it. I just download the patch from a 3rd party like Fileplanet.

3: How quickly did you get back to your body? Sometimes you have to wait a second or two. Also if your latency (lag) is high, it can take a couple seconds. If that doesn't work then you can just log off and then back on.

4: Sounds like your are getting lag problems. Which server are you playing on?
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It's REALLY hard. What do you is right click on them. ;) Not ALL guards talk though, only ones who are at the main cities and very few around big ones. As a level 4, I don't think you are in the city "big" enough that you would need directions. ;)

No, don't worry about it, and here's a hint on patching. DO NOT go via Blizzard's download. It will take hours if you do. What you do is go to their forums and see a post about someone setting up a broadband FTP and download the file that way. No need to worry about getting the patch and it's just an EXE file that you double click and it will install itself (also takes a while but there's no connectivity required)

That's lag. WoW is STILL having issues with this. You will also (at times) see people freeze or run in circles. You won't be able to talk to ANY NPC's -- or NPC's won't even be around where they normally are. You won't be able to loot, etc... All signs of killing WoW (hard) and restarting it. Currently, this is my biggest frustration with the game.

Lag again. Since you are at level 4, PLEASE consider another server. Sounds like you are on some of those overpopulated or over buggy ones. If you like RP (even if you don't) Cenarian Circle is on the west coast but works fairly well. It's where myself and Frodo play on.
  4. SixofNine

Yeah, I'm in Stormwind trying to chat up guards to find my mage trainer. Found him anyway, but I still haven't had a successful chat with a guard.
    I think I waited a reasonable amount of time for a rabid noobie gamer. :) My latency indicator has been solid green the entire time.

Skywall (PvE).

5. SixofNine

I right-clicked on their sorry asses until I went through their entire "Peace be with you," "Can I help you," "Leave me the f*** alone" voice repertoire. :) However, I had no luck on figuring out how to ask one of them the location of my mage trainer. As I said, I didn't see any chat windows, so maybe I just haven't found the right guard yet. Found a mage trainer on my own, anyway.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I just wanted to make sure that these weirdisms were not something that I was doing wrong. In another forum somebody else reported a crash of his server around the same time that I was encountering these problems.

6. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Did it happen this morning? Tuesdays are the days they work on the servers. You may be disconnected at times in that case.

Which guards are you talking to? Regular guards or elite NPCs with names? Like the guy on the horse in the front gate.
  7. SixofNine

This was around 11:00 to 11:30 EDT last night.

I only tried this with regular unnamed guards, the ones standing sentry in a particular spot.

8. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Hmm. You server may be having a serious brain cramp. Come to the server that me and ethics play on. It's a very good server with many mature players (ethics doesn't really fit in but we let him stay. :haha: ).
  9. ethics

Speaking of which (and sorry for OT). Too bad you weren't around when me and Icepebbles went at it. She thought I was serious but throughout the whole time, I was saying that she married Scrit for his money.

Last night, I ran across a bridge with a male and female night Elves. Just standing there really close. As I pass, I say, "get a room". Should have seen the hate tells I got... "SHE IS MY NIECE! GET A LIFE!" LMAO!

I am so bad.
  10. SixofNine

Thanks, I'll do that. When I ran the game for the first time it automatically downloaded patch 1.4. I take it that this (auto download) is a setting that I can control? With my 3/768 DSL connection it wasn't that bad, even with a 125MB patch file.

11. ethics

It's not bad because it was not patch night. ;)
  12. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

rofl :lol: You da man, ethics. :thumbsup:
  13. ethics

And you know they had "adopt an orphan week" in Stormwind over the weekend. Really cool since the quests is you get an Orphan Kid that wants to go to different places and you get experience when you do complete all of the 6 quests with him (buying him ice-cream was another fun one). I was at Darnasus and someone asks me how I got an orphaned boy with me.

"In Stormwind, there is a Cathedral and all these Priests were lined up with this one little boy. I just HAD to rescue him".

She replies with, "that's disgusting, sorry I asked".

14. Andy

Ethics.. you are too much. :haha:

That settles it.. I need to get me a copy of this game. :drool:
  15. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

You ass, come clean off my monitor! :lol: rofl :haha:

I have not been on in about a week. I saved up my pennies and got Empire Earth 2 and have been playing that.

I need to get back to WoW.
  16. SixofNine

Despite, the glitches, it's awesome, and it looks great on the new Dell UltraSharp 1905FP. :)

17. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

If we can get enough people from GA to play, maybe we can start our own guild. What do you think, ethics?

I also have several people from my BF clan that play. They can also join if we need more people.
  18. ethics

Our current guild is tiny though and has some great people in it.
  19. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Have you seen the number of people that have left in the last couple weeks?

I am not saying we need to start our own guild. The new additions from here would make a good boost to The Knights.
  20. ethics

Yep. I didn't like the people who came on and left anyway. They were more of powergamers and we are very laid back.