1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No patent on the mouse

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by claire, Dec 10, 2002.

1. claire

claire Registered User

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Not to doubt you in your first few posts, my friend. But why do you think it is a Good Idea?

3. claire

claire Registered User

Hi Jamming,

I think that living material(like genes etc)should not be
    patented to let an open field to research.Could such a material be patented only large firms with huge financial
    ressources would be able to patent and thus use these
    materials.And those firms,as you surely know,don't have always the "general interest" in mind but only
    their interest(look at what happened in South Africa when big conglomerates tried to forbid the market to
    an anti aids treatment( cheaper and made by indian researchers).I agree that firms have to make benefit but
    they should also have some "ethical" behaviour.And this
    behaviour will only occur when everybody is able to work
    on the same fields and subjects and not only the "patented" ones.This" ethical" behaviour should also apply to countries and governements but that's an other story.
    Should we count only on large firms there would be no
    researches and no cures for"orphan deseases" for instance.
    Sorry for the long reply.I'll try to make it shorter next time
    Regards :)

4. jamming

jamming Banned

No it was perfect in length if it said all you wanted to say ;) So how does a Drug Company or University preserve the ability to make money off what they produce? If their research cost money what can be done to so that they might off set the money spent in a free market society? The cost of working on "Orphan Diseases" could be subsidized by the money made of the patent of the Mouse's Heritage. Instead of selling the better mouse in the future wouldn't the University have less reason to actually develope the mouse?

5. claire

claire Registered User

Hi,
    IMHO a drug company should make money on all her
    products but should not be allowed to patent the ones
    based on living materials(genes etc).The others patented products are numerous enough to create this benefit.The universities(at least in Europe) are mostly
    subsided by the states so they can go on making researches on this particular field(and results open to everyone) without seeking benefit on this particular field.They can raise benefit by making researches(basic or
    applicated(I don't kow if this is correct English) ones in
    other domains
    And as I tried to point out if you leave to Drugs Companies to invest their benefits(And I am clearly for benefits to avoid any misunderstandings) they will never
    invest in "Orphan deseases" because the marked is too small to hope any benefit(But it is not a reason not to try to solve the problem of Orphan Deseases):)