1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Biker, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Tripped across someone gushing about this game in Imgur this morning and decided to go see what he was all excited about.

It looks interesting. Not a MMO, per se, as the chances of actually meeting someone could be extremely rare. Supposedly, there are 18 quadrillion planets. Quite the exploration possibilities, no?

No Man's Sky

Soundtrack seems pretty decent, too.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

That...actually looks pretty interesting. I skimmed several articles. One basically suggested it was Minecraft in space - that unorganized and open. I like that it's going to be playable offline. It's been ages since i actaully bought a game. About the only thing I still play is OpenTTG.

BTW, here's your soundtrack band: 65daysofstatic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Biker

I just hope this isn't going to be a "console only" game. I'd love to try this one out if there's a beta opportunity.

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

A small team is building this game with a huge universe using an old technique called procedural generation. This particular game seems to have many people very excited, though of course in my tiny corner of the world I haven't heard of it. :)

The lead developer debuted a trailer on Spike TV in late 2013, and Sony helped him get a presentation on the main stage at E3.

The Galaxy-Sized Video Game - The New Yorker

Excerpts:

The article doesn't explicitly mention the multiplayer aspects of the game, though it does say:

Sony has been helping (though apparently not with money) in exchange for getting a Playstation version.

Which led to the best quote in the article by another developer: "Hype is a difficult taskmaster."

5. Biker

Merged. :p

I'm really hoping this comes to pass and they do release it for PC. I can see myself getting lost in this one.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wow, that looks actually interesting.

Hope it happens soon, I'm game-less now and haven't really played an mmo in months.

Waiting on Armikrog to release and watching the Firefly MMO, waiting for it to disappoint.

7. Biker

Nice write up in the New Yorker this month.

The Galaxy-Sized Video Game - The New Yorker

I think it's a VERY good sign when the developers get lost in their own creations during testing.

8. SixofNine

Ha! You merged my post from two weeks ago with your older topic (rightfully so), but I guess you didn't notice that my post is also about the New Yorker article. :D

9. Biker

Oh ho! And so it is! Should have looked closer at your post. I double checked the dates, and figured as the article was dated 5 days AFTER you posted, it was kosher. LOL Ah well.

10. SixofNine

It's a great article, and certainly has me excited about the game.

11. Biker

If they can pull this off AND release it for PC, I'll definitely be pulling the trigger on this one. 18 quadrillion planets to explore? Yeah. Sign me up and take my money.

12. Biker

From E3 2015

13. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Is it bad I got a woody watching that?

14. Biker

I seriously hope it's all that they're saying it's going to be. Shit, I'll even buy a new computer just so I can play it if this poor ol' notebook can't handle it. I am cautiously excited, but deep down inside, I can't freakin' wait for this to come out!

ethics likes this.
  15. ethics

It's like WoW coupled with Wing Commander with a taste of Eve Online.

16. Biker

For those that are going in thinking it'll be a true MMO, they'll be sadly mistaken and highly disappointed. The likelihood of meeting another player in the game will be extremely remote.

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

But.. But... How will it make any money unless asshats can PVP grief the hell out of others???( especially noobs) /s

18. ethics

Wow, you are still bitter after getting ganked in Eve. :p

19. SixofNine

I will find you! :D

20. Biker

Provided, of course, your ship has the ability to make the trip. From what I understand, you'll have to upgrade your craft as you play in order for it to go deeper and deeper into the universe.