1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No legal weed in Nevada

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by drslash, Nov 6, 2002.

1. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Ethics, you can unpack your bags. ;) There is no reason to move to Nevada. The State question #9, if passed, would have allowed a person to legally possess 3 ounces of marijuana in their home. This question went down to defeat by about a 60% to 40% margin.

Until I saw a news story about this a couple days ago, I had no idea how much 3 ounces is. This much marijuana could be made in to 250 joints.
  2. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

First of all, I'm quite glad that 60% of Nevadans still have a brain to vote with. And secondly, 3 ounces would never make 250 joints unless they're the size of tooth picks.
  3. drslash

I based this on what an opponent of the question said in a news story. I have no first hand knowledge on this subject. Her 3 ounce jar of parsley was huge.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

1. What Haywire said about 3 ounces.

2. I don't smoke pot, tried it a few times, but that's my extension of it. However, I support legalizing for many reasons. Nevadans voted for having prostitution also, don't forget.
  5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Very disappointed in that decision.
  6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I do not smoke pot, but I am very disappointed in this ruling. I really thought it would get passed. Oh well, it's just a matter of time.

The government has fooled a generation of people into thinking that marijuana is evil. It's no different from how they, along with the ADA, have fooled people into thinking that they need to drink cow milk to be healthy. People are so naive.
  7. drslash

IMO it will be a lot of time. I believe this ballot question needed 60% yes to get passed and it received 40% yes.
  8. ethics

William F. Buckley speculates that full legalization of marijuana may be just around the corner. It's not the first thing he's written on the subject, to be sure, but worth noting because it's so darn reasonable.

That -- does marijuana help some people who are sick? -- of course is a narrow part of the question. Forty-seven percent of the public have tried marijuana at least once (that figure was 31 percent 20 years ago), 80 percent think adults should be able to use marijuana legally for medical purposes, and 72 percent believe that people arrested for possessing small amounts of marijuana should be fined, not jailed.

Reflect on the interchange in the last two figures, and on another figure not given. If 80 percent of Americans believe that THC should be legal for sick people, and almost as many (72 percent) think it should be penalized for use by non-sick people only by fine, not prison, or electrocution, how many probably believe, or are about to believe, in legalization? If the public takes so solid a move in the easygoing direction away from prison sentences, is reform far away?

His Full Column Here
  9. drslash

Reasonable in some ways, yet not in others. The medicinal argument is a strong one but that still doesn't mean that argument will be successfully extended to the recreational use area. For me it is unreasonable to trash the investment I have made in promoting healthy choices for my family.

Ten or fifteen years from now I still don't see legalization taking hold in the majority of citizens of this country. I think we are at least a generation away from seeing a shift towards legalization. That's just my opinion based on the Nevada result and many other observations. If a similar question is asked 30 years from now and no more than 40% support it, I doubt we will see legalization in our lifetimes.
  10. pupowski

pupowski Banned

William F. Buckley is a "real" conservative, like Barry Goldwater was, not a narrow minded new-age neo-con like many so-called "conservative leaders" today. Neo-con politicians are political whores, like their new-age PC liberal counterparts, with an equally gullible core constituency.

US drug policies are a miserable failure, at home and abroad, and it is lunacy to continue or expand them,yet we do. The "less government, less regulation" crowd are hippocrites when it comes to law enforcement and personal freedoms. We are becoming a police state, that wants to control how we raise our kids, pay taxes, and what we can smoke, drink, inject, grow, drive, fly, or buy at Wal-mart. Worse yet is our attempt to dictate drug policies of other sovereign nations. In Columbia, the war on drugs and war on terrorism are used as a ruse for covert military aid to fight a revolution that pre-dates either. Draconian sentences have failed to stem domestic supplies, or reduce the rate of addiction, and non-violent drug offendors have been the growth engine for our burgeoning inmate population. We incarcerate a far greater % of our citizens than any other 1st world nation, yet our crime rates remain higher.

It's not just misguided Pot policies, or the failed war on drugs in general that illustrate the problems inherent in allowing the politics of resentment to set policies in lieu of objective assessment and public debate. US energy, environmental, social, and foreign policy trends have also fallen victim to "conventional wisdom" that is neither.
  11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

So then it didn't get passed? I read in 'another' forum that it did get passed. People were celebrating that decision and talking about moving to Nevada.
  12. ethics

It got shut down pretty badly, I think.
  13. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Lost 60%/40% if I'm not too badly mistaken...
  14. In an effort to organize this forum (read keep is sparse enough to read on one page), I've been moving threads to forums that the topic of the thread would fall under. This one probably belongs in two different forums at this time. Rather than move it now, my own curiousity dictates that it stay here for more debate ;)

BTW, fascinating discourse folks...kudos!!
  15. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Things that make you go, "<i>Hmmmmmmmmmm</i>". :_