1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo has a 3D console.

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Swamp Fox, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

2. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

It isn't a console as such it is a handheld. I have been holding off buying a portable gaming system for a while waiting for this one.

Here is what I have heard about their glasses free approach to 3D:

The technology has been around for a while, they are layering LCD displays. So glasses free TV is no closer with the advent of this device.

The problem with the approach is viewing angle, it only works properly when viewed directly on. This is a problem for a television but it lends itself perfectly to a handheld device.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's also been delayed and Sony's stock is taking a beating for it. Not expected until next year.

4. Brazbit

Sony's stock is taking a beating for a delay of a Nintendo product? Nintendo better wield that power carefully.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

:doh1: Had 3 screens going with the news... Figured I'd flub that one. :huh:

6. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I was wondering about that one.

But I wonder when the free market will turn up real holograms.

7. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

8. Brazbit

Basically they haven't progressed anything they are just marketing a product that other manufacturers found unacceptable. It makes sense that they are using smaller screens as, like the handheld, you usually only watch those head on. 40 degrees is a ridiculously tiny viewing angle for a television of any decent size.

If used in a living room with say their experimental 56" TV the 3D would possible work for those sitting on the couch directly in front of the TV but forget seeing an image if you are in a chair or something off to the side or dare to stand up. Heck even sitting on the couch might not work if the TV stand is the right height.