1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[NHL] Real Man's Sport

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Now we talking!!

HOCKEY !!!

ethics: Thread split from here.

2. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Its not just a game. It is combat. The only sport where men, real men, fight to keep the peace. During the "game" there is no quarter. Not ever!

What other sport is so intense that your best offensive player, even league MVPs are only physically capable of playing 20 to 25 minutes out of the 60 in the three periods? A sport where whether you bleed or not is a factor in calling a penalty or how severe the penalty will be?

3. ethics

Preaching to the choir, my man. Hockey is the sport, the only sport.

The only sport where a guy WANTS to stop a 100+ mph hard rubber with ANY, and I meant ANY part of his body... EVEN if the puck is going wide of the net... God forbid there's a rebound.

4. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

GO BLACKHAWKS!!!

BDD... :{)[​IMG]

5. ethics

Man, the Hawks came out of no where, this year, eh?

I mean, I have Thibault on my fantasy team and he has been my savior (I had Richter as my main goalie... PU).

6. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I still watch some hockey but not nearly as much as I used to.

The drastic drop in fights, the quick whistles, and the basic discouragement of aggresive physical play have turned me off.

I might add it has turned off quite a few long time fans and it is beginning to be noticed by NHL management as attendance and TV ratings are falling. By trying to increase scoring and go with a euro style they have begun to alienate their most loyal fan base.

I cannot justify spending a hundred bucks to attend what appears to be figure skaters with hockey sticks.

I still love the game don't get me wrong. I Just think its headed in the wrong direction.

Bring back the Broad Street Bullies. Now THAT was hockey. Toothless, no helmets, no nets on magnets. Those players were the best the game has ever seen imo.

7. ethics

Well, I'd meet you half way and say that even the Europeans do not play the type of hockey NHL is trying to change to. Soviets certainly don't (ahem, I meant the Russians).

I wouldn't want fight fests at every 1 minute mark but I'd like to see more brawn and less finesse which brings out the hated trap. A less skilled team would always need to apply the trap and we all know how fun THAT is. :rolleyes:

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Halfway works for me.

I don't seek fight fests either. One or two a game will do just fine :)

And the trap? Eliminate the blue lines and be done with it.

9. ethics

How about getting rid of the red line instead?

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Oops. That's what I meant.

DUH

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

If you need to color the lines you really need to get more educted players. Real men just need yard markers and goal lines. :haha:

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

The trap sucks big time. The redline sucks. The two line pass with the redline being one of them sucks. Get rid of the redline. The single biggest thing you could do to improve the sport. Do you think players like Joe Sakic or Pavel Bure would be more dangerous, score more goals, and be more exciting to watch with no redline? What a no brainer!

World class goalies that get into the zone suck if they are on the other side! Greatest exhibition of world class goalies? The fourth and final game of the Stanley Cup between the Avalanche and the Panthers. Final score of the final game-- 1-0. The winning goal scored midway throgh the third <i> overtime </i>period after the previous 118 shots on goal had been stopped by both goalies! Amazing.

13. ethics

Seems like you guys have the same passion as I do in this sport.

Mid, yah, red red red line must must must go!

JW, some of the best games I've seen were 1-0 games. One comes to mind was Devils-Buffalo game, Brodeur vs. Hasek in 1994 SC playoffs.

14. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Is there any other similar emotional moment in sport as when two teams in the playoffs are one goal apart, the team down a goal is crashing the net, the defenders can't clear the zone and as the final minutes are winding down here the sound of a 100 MPH shot clanging off the post? Fans for both teams have heart attacks.

Oh, my the way, are there any two announcers in sport better than Bill Clement and Gary Thorne?

15. ethics

Mike Emrick? John Davidson (When he is not a homer Ranger fan).?

Gary Thorne was awesome when he did the Devils. Now, I am thinking he is going senile or something, forgets names, flips on the numbers... it's devastating to watch and listen sometimes.

Worst announcers are from Philly. They are HORRID!

16. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Thorne and Clement are of course the ESPN guys. As far as team announcers go the best is Bob Miller of the Kings--and I am not even a King's fan especially. (Don't dislike them either.) I doubt that many would disagree who have heard Miller and most of the other team announcers and there are many good ones among them.

With Miller you can be a novice to hockey and learn the game from simply listening to him. His color man, is an excellent broadcasdting teammate for him too! Naturally, I am having serotonin drain and can't think of his name!

(And I've spent too much time on this thread! I relinquish the floor to others!)

17. ethics

Was this the same Miller that had throat surgery? If so, I totally agree.

18. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I hate Bill Clement, and that's saying something considering he is an former Philadelphia Flyer.

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY was better than Gene Hart at doing hockey play by play.

I was heartbroken when they demoted him to Phantoms play by play in the final years of his career.

Sure he was getting a bit old and maybe senile too but I kinda liked him calling a different game then I was watching towards the end there :)

19. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Want to know who leads in penalty minutes?? Shots on goal?? Short handed points???

Just look HERE!!

BDD... :{)

20. jamming

jamming Banned

I just want to know what this game Hookey is? It is played on Roller Skates?;)