1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[NHL] Canada's Sport Fading?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 11, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

With the NHL's Ottawa Senators <a href="http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030109/nhl_ott-cp.html">filing for bankruptcy protection</a> on Thursday, shortly after missing payroll, the team may have saved its immediate future. But the episode has left observers wondering whether the future of pro hockey in Canada is as muddy as that of the team in its capital city.

Sens owner Rod Bryson, saying the team is $360 million (cdn) in debt, is imploring increased fan support. But even so, his language alludes to a previous Canadian team that flew south.

'That the franchise will have a hugely successful future is absolutely clear, just as the Quebec Nordiques did,' Bryson told The Canadian Press. 'But the support of this community is what will determine where that future unfolds.' The Nordiques had future success, but only after moving to one of the fastest-growing American markets and becoming the Colorado Avalanche.

With an infusion of new cash, and outstanding goaltending from Patrick Roy, the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup in 1996, not to mention numerous playoff and SC appearances. There was concern some owners would take this as a misplaced object lesson that New U.S. Market + $$$$$ = Stanley Cup.

Does this represent a kind of reversed cultural imperialism, where the United States has stolen Canada's national pastime to turn it into the fourth-place U.S. pro game?

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

We stole nothing.

The tax laws are killing the Canadian teams. Until they realize they must make changes in this regard no superstars are going to want to play for a Canadian team.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I agree Mid, and sorry for using "stolen", I think it was a bit harsh as well. :)

4. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Plus, with the huge population difference, it's hard to compete with all the money American teams can generate.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

And don't even mention that "flash in the pan" Canadian Sport Curling, have heard anything about it since they demo'd it at Salt Lake City.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

When I was growing up in Canada, we had only a few NHL teams and they played during the cold weather period. Now it is so drawn out! No wonder they are running out of money.

As for that "flash in the pan" sport of curling. They were playing this game in my hometown of Sydney, Nova Scotia, when I was a kid and they are still at it. It's been a long, long time since I was a kid, so I think the "flash in the pan" must apply only to its duration on the American scene.

Allene

7. jamming

jamming Banned

I think the term would be "International Scene" since it was the Olympics. How boring a game, it is shuffle board on ice and you don't even have to stay on your side of the court ;)

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Now you're fixin' to piss off North Dakota...Curling is very popular there as well :p You calling North Dakota boring?

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Well Yah, they are so boring the major contention is renaming the state so people stop thinking its cold like Canada ;)