1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NewsMax - Reliable?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jimeez, May 26, 2009.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I was wondering if the GA community generally considers NewsMax to be a reliable news source? I have seen a few articles here and there referenced over the years, but I was reading this particular article this morning and was left scratching my head. I realize it's an Op-Ed but....really?

So NewsMax: right-wing spin or fair and balanced?

TrumpsAGump likes this.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I trust the National Enquirer more than NewsMax.

TrumpsAGump likes this.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

"Best investigative reporting on the planet. But go ahead, read the New York Times if you want. They get lucky sometimes. " :lol:

4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Whew. Ok. Just checking. Thought so.

TrumpsAGump likes this.
  5. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Ya...NewsMax is terrible.

TrumpsAGump likes this.
  6. Arc

Arc Full Member

Different media sources: No one is totally fair, most aren't even close. Few are balanced. As for Newsmax article in the context of your question you mention it is an op-ed so they are just as likely to be as "fair" as anyone including the NYT, (but not as sophisticated)--they just have an opposite bias, slant, and spin in their op-eds.

As for the news itself Newsmax is way to the right and tends to be heavy on the sensationalism and they tend to be very unbalanced in the presentation of even their regular news stories--they tend to leave out opposing points of views or even legitimate facts that contradict or tone down the sensationalism or controversy of the stories. Definitely very conservative bias with lots of inflammatory language or editorializing embedded within the text of the "straight news story."

When they sometimes actually do run a decent or accurate story it will often be because they are quoting legitimate sources for facts so they are actually reporting on what someone legitimate has all ready reported. Those stories are OK. They are just the exception.

All though they deserve the label of biased they get an unbalanced share of criticism. Much more than other biased media outlets that are biased to the left. Criticism is much more heavy handed and unfair toward conservative rags than liberal rags. The reason is obvious.

7. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I'd not entirely discount it. It's fringe, but not always incorrect. I'd rate it on the right what Huffington Post is to the left.

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

Good analogy!

9. ethics

Nah, not a good analogy at all since Huffpo is more of a blog. NewsMax is like The Nation. Sometimes it's right, but most of the time it's histrionics.

10. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Actually, it's an even worse analogy, because HuffPo is a group blog, with multiple authors each having their own independent voice. And HuffPo is explicit about being a source for opinion, "spin" and polemics, while NewsMax pretends to be a news source.

And the Nation includes lengthy, in-depth, researched reporting (which doesn't contradict its political/editorial stance and spin)--it's a magazine, a weekly, which gives it a broader scope.

NewsMax (like Fox News, which might be the best analogy) combines the worst of all worlds--spin plus lack of depth and quality.

11. Copzilla

Whatever to both of you. I'm talking about in terms of reliability of information and slant. But since you enjoy Huffpo, feel free to engage in whatever justification pleases you.

12. ethics

HuffPo is an opinion site, like DailyCos...

But Joe is right, The Nation is not even a good analogy. Maybe Common Deams and Alternet would be a better one?

13. Arc

Arc Full Member

To be honest NewsMax is often exactly that too but under the guise of a news agency. The only difference is sometimes they do get some hard news stories right.

14. ethics

Absolutely, as with any source. For the record, I've used NewsMax as a source here as well as Alternet.

15. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Newsmax is not that far from Worldnet Daily. Do both have an agenda? Yep. Do they get it right sometimes? Yep. Are they consistently factual and reliable? Nope.

16. ethics

Yep, sums it up.

17. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Yes, exactly. And both NewsMax and WorldNetDaily present themselves as being "straight" and "objective" news. That's what I don't like about them--the blatant dishonesty and hypocrisy. (WorldNetDaily is probably worse in terms of presenting pure fantasy as if it were news).

(And no, I don't like HuffPo. I don't read it and don't cite it here. I find it inane and shallow almost all the time. But at least it doesn't pretend to be something it's not)

18. Arc

Arc Full Member

They actually advertise or publicly officially claim that? I hadn't heard that before and so when I read your post I literally chuckled over their claim.

Do they do this in advertising or do they place it in peripheral stuff on the websites? (I tend to just focus in on a site's "story" or issue I am looking at and not notice most of the other stuff.)

19. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Whether they advertise as such, or not, I believe that every citizen has a right to expect - no, demand that from any entity operating as a news organization.

20. Copzilla

Too bad most media people would believe to be mainstream don't even come close to that requirement.