1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Windows Defrag for 95,98

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by bruzzes, Jan 31, 2003.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

For users of Win95 and Win98 only!

With the advent of WinMe, a new defrag.exe was included in the release. This defrag tool increased the speed of defragmenting your harddrive by as much as 500%. If it took you 15 minutes to defrag Win95 or Win98 this replacement may take 2 to 4 minutes to perform the same action.

Occasionally, this file makes the rounds on the internet and remains for many months at sites until asked by Microsoft to remove it. According to Microsoft licensing policy, it is not offered as a upgrade although I and others have requested it.

I will not post the link to this 648k .exe file publicly, nor do I advocate breaking the lease agreements we accept when purchasing software from any company. However, if anyone is interested in more information on this "upgrade", I will be more than happy to supply where it can be found.. It is easily accessible with a simple google search using a specific search term.

Anyone interested in this marvelous tool can PM me and I will supply the key search term and answer any questions concerning it's implementation.

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I personally like and use Norton Speed Disk. However another one that is very popular and very good is Disk Keeper. You can get Disk Keeper Lite which is the free version or the trial version of the regular one from <A HREF="http://www.executive.com/downloads/menu.asp">here</A>.

3. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Just curious how many 95/98 users we still have here????

4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

98se here and I use Norton Speed Disk to defrag. I love it :)

5. claire

claire Registered User

I also have Win98 and use Norton Speed Disk to defrag:)

6. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

I have a school laptop that gets replaced every semester. No need to defrag. Laptop is running 2K.

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

This is simply the WinMe defrag program.
    For those who don't have a third party defragger this one works wonders in speeding up the old defrag utility on Win 98 and 95.

8. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

Sure, the thread is a month old, but I just read it now.
    I have WinME running on a PentiumII with 6 GB drive. The defrag runs, like, forever, because it says 'drive contents changed: restarting' every time it defrags a few MB beyond 600 MB or so.
    That is the location of a big block of stuff-that-will-not-be-moved.
    I let the thing run 18 hours once, it got nowhere.

The way I got that machine to defrag was to hit F8 while booting, until it beeps and then select step-by-step drivers (there's no DOS choice). I said 'no' to every question, trying to get a DOS-like response, but it booted in Safe Mode, or at least some form of Windows, anyway. In particular I said 'no' to smartdrive.

Defrag in the no-to-everything mode took less than an hour.

So, why is Ken on my 'ignore' list? I didn't put him there, don't remember reading any of his posts prior to today, and don't know how to access my 'ignore' list.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Way OT but, he asked his acct to be deleted, once someone is deleted they become guests and since guests are not allowed to post here (unregistered members that is) they are auto-ignored by the system.