1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Virus Record

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by mrRT, Dec 18, 2002.

1. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Well last nite I went to see a client...old time friend actually. She had been having "a few problems with the computer". I promised Sandy I would look at it for her so off we go. While Sandy and her friend head off to the Hot Tub, I start on the machine.

First thing I see is that the virus definitions are 6 months outof date and last scan was almost a year ago. Ok..NBFD..I load a fresh Norton and scan.

Well damn if the thing didn't find 765 infected files...OMFG!!!!!

Got rid of all but one that I am continuing to work on.. W32.Opaserv.worm
    This one is another one of thse PITA ones too..

People Listen up please..

RUN YOUR ANTI-VIRUS REGULARY
    and don't let your definitions get outta date..!!!!!

Too bad this job wasn't one of the paying type ....ugggggggggggg

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Wow....765! That virus got her good.

I've only seen one worse then that. My fathers machine about a year ago had over 1000 infected files. I forget the exact number. Basically, I said screw it and reformatted his machine instead of trying to clean it all up.

3. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

It may come to that yet...:nut:

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

LOL....

I tell ya though, it really did teach him a lesson. Once he realized that he lost all his documents, email addresses, etc (couldn't be saved due to the virus) he is now the most vigilant virus scanner there is.

In fact, half the time, he tells me when the newest updates are available. :)

5. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

FDISK it. It's not worth all the time of finding every virus. Besides there are corrupted windows and program files anyways.

IMHO
    :)

6. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

My favorite command....next to FORMAT

;)

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I personally will do a fresh install on my computer if it has a virus (only happened twice with nimda). After switching to Linux I haven't gotten a single virus...:)

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Who cares about infrecting a linux machine? :)

9. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I know I am treading on dangerous ground here, but I have never gotten a virus, or trojan in all the time of computing; over 6 years now.

I did use the free AVG for a little while but got tired of running it without comming up with anything. I haven't had an anti-virus in over a year now.

It seems most of these viruses come from Kaaza or chat room stuff that I don't do. Maybe I am lucky. I occasionaly will run a free check at a site or too every once in a while.

I removed a nimba from my brothers computer once.

Anyway, I expect a lecture from you guys, but I have no plans on installing an anti-virus program.

I do have script sentry.

10. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Brave little mouse. LOL I find that I get a lot of infected emails from people who don't run antivirus software.

Running a comp without an antivirus prog is like having sex without a cover on ;)

11. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Ahhh,

then it is "natural".