1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toys

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

It would appear that the U.S. Army is upping the ante in defensive battlefield strategies. At White Sands, they've managed to destroy an incoming artillery shell with a high powered tactical laser...well before the intended target. Story Here

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I haven't read the article yet, but the ASE PMO had a nifty device for our helicopters in the 1990s...called ATIRCM, which would use a laser to destroy/blind incoming IR missiles.

SM

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

That's fantastic. Unfortunately I bet it is at least 5 years from deployment if Congress allows us to have it. The idiots on the hill object at the price of the Crusader without understanding our forces have been outranged with arty since WWII.

4. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I would like to know what this laser would do to armor? Or a cow. I guess that is why I don't work testing lasers.;)

wapu

5. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Looks to be quite a countermeasure.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ATIRCM

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Some components

Pictures

7. jamming

jamming Banned

The Crusader is going to have a follow on system, yes it was a good system but it just cost too much, besides saturation artillery is good versus large military formations what we need is highly mobile artillery capable of precise strikes, like a cheaper Copperhead Shell.