1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Threads since last visit.

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by bruzzes, Nov 9, 2002.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

When I log in , I have a list of new threads and posts since my last visit.

If I view one and wish to post, all the threads disappear and I have lost all the new thrds.

This is pissing me off.

Know I have to go to each forum to see what is new.

What can be done about this?

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I find that the list of new ones disappears after what might be a certain time as they are all there after I return a few times but certainly not until after I have looked at them all.
    I'm interested in an answer to your question also Bruzzes.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Do you have cookies enabled in your profile? If so, I believe the 'new posts' since last visit should stay updated. Also, I believe there is a switch to 'mark all threads as read'. The default should be unchecked.

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I have cookies enabled, have the default unchecked.
    Only use the marked posts as read AFTER I have read them all.

If one makes a post, then all the new threads disappear.
    Very disconcerting!!!

They should stay there UNTIL mark posts are read button is used.

5. EMIG

EMIG Yup

I have cookies enabled and I find that sometimes my unread threads list gets reset, and sometimes it doesn't.

I just use my browser's "back" button to go back to the original search results. Takes less time that way also.

6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

They do reset in a period of time, but mine at least don't reset right away. I don't know exactly what the update time is, but I've not seen it happen after visiting one thread.

7. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Here's what's been working for me:

1) GAF is one of my Trusted Sites in IE, meaning full functionality and stored cookies enabled.

2) I don't logout, rather just close browser window.

3) Upon arrival at GAF, I visit each Forum whose icon indicates a new post since my last visit.

4) Within those Forums, I open a new window when I click on any icons for "Go to first new post" in a thread. When I'm done with that thread, I close the window.

5) Before exiting each Forum, I click on "Mark this Forum Read".

6) When I have browsed all the threads as stated in steps 3-5, I hit the F5 button to see if any new posts have come in before clicking on "Mark All Forums as Read".

Phew, it sounds more complicated than it is. ;)

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

It would be easier just to have them kept there until you press the read button.

Thanks for the tutorial DSL Dan. I'll try that until this problem gets resolved.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

OOof...

Yes, there is a time out of 5 minutes, I believe.

The best way to do this, Bruz, is to hit your back button. Don't do another search or go foward.

I will see what I can do on my end but that (and Dan's way) approach works pretty good.