1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New state laws effective 1/1/2003

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Stiofan, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

This time of year the newspapers come out with the new laws going into effect Jan. 1, so I picked out a few of the more interesting ones for California and thought I share them with everyone. I'd apprieciate any comments, and also if those in other states would post some we can comment on those as well.

The first one is interesting. Just like some of our hate laws, it's apparently more serious to injure or murder a person of the opposite sex than it is to do so to one of the same sex. Why not allow civil suits for <b>all</b> violent crimes?

As far as the gun law repeal, I can see the lawyers getting ready...

The abortion law I think is good, I've always preferred it be handled on a state basis anyway.

Now if I can just figure out how to take advantage of the FAX law....

<small>Yes, I'm aware these were all authored by Democrats, but in California you can't get much passed if you're Republican or Independant.</small>

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Did you try to get me more upset? ;)

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I think the reasoning behind the gender-related violence bill is because of domestic violence. It's just another tool that victims of domestic violence can use. You're right, though - all violent crimes should be treated equally. Domestic violence just doesn't seem to get treated as equal as others, usually because victims don't WANT law enforcement to get involved.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

OK, I have no ulterior motive here but this straight question Misu. Considering what you said about not enforcing where people don't want us to be involved in the Real Change Thread, how do you differentiate between that and Domestic Violence Victims that do not want are help? Or would you treat them the same? I am curious since almost all of your arguments are well reasoned, to understand if you would treat them differently and why?