1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ROK Compromise: Appeasement

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

From MSNBC.com:

Some other quotes, taken from deeper in the article which I do think need to be called out:

OK, if they really think this will alleviate expanding acrimony, I have no issues with it; giving the DPRK oil is not a bad thing to do, though it is one of the few tools available to discipline it with. I would very much like it to be a matter of public record that the ROK agreed to suspend the oil shipments initially, though they have been working overtime to avoid being put on that hook.

Is this appeasement?

Read all about it at South Korea Hones Nuclear Plan

SM

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Hell yes it's appeasement. And there's no guarantees that DPRK won't abandon their nuclear program just because it has oil again. They've already admitted that while getting oil in the past, they were working on the program. Giving them oil just sets things back to where it was when all this BS started.

3. Sierra Mike

Agleed, round-eye devil.

SM

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Well, I suppose we could give them irradiated oil. They burn it, they spread the contamination around their own little hole on the continent, problem alleviates itself and then we can just blame it all on their clumsy handling of their nuke program.

5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Oh, that's brutal, Coot. rofl

I think that if they break one agreement, what stops them from breaking a second? They've got to make assurances.

6. jamming

jamming Banned

What I want to know is who cloned Chamberlain and sent him to South Korea?

7. Sierra Mike

Well it is THEIR country, after all. If this is what they want, then I guess they should get it. Though I do think they're being rather short-sighted, but...

SM

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Well, with 7 million facing starvation, the DPRK also believes that it is not bound by the same requirements that every other country is that needs aid.

9. Sierra Mike

Again, in order to maintain total control, the DPRK must elude all attempts to enforce "transparency."

I think even the most casual observer of this region will be able to deduce the DPRK is hardly a regime which is interested in furthering the ways and means of its people. It is, truly and honestly, a twisted regime which is deeply psychotic.

Hussein is avaricious; he, like the leaders of the PRC, seeks personal entitlement and wealth, which in the region constitutes personal freedom. While repellent to a liberal democracy, his basic motivations are indeed understandable. We have seen this before.

The DPRK represents something deeper, darker, and more insidious. They offer the world nothing. They covet the South. They are and have been for over 50 years a closed empire--they've existed in self-exile for longer than the PRC, and have been the only empire to exist as such since after the Meiji Restoration opened up Japan. Even in these troubled times, the benefits of going out and interacting with the rest of the world far outweigh putting up a big fence and keeping everyone else off your property.

It is an interesting situation, to be sure.

SM