1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Player Playing the Race Card

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jan 30, 2003.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Nelson Mandela is opposing US actions with Iraq. He has some of the same reasons as others but also has asked if Blair and Bush are opposing the UN because the UN leader is black. Read about it here. I must admit to losing some respect for the man.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Mandela has lately been acting more and more like an asshole or someone entering senility.

He forgets that Kofi is sec'y general because the US puched his candidacy even though the last appointment was supposed to go to someone from another continent. (They rotate that, and Kofi's predeccessor was African, too -- Egyptian.)

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Oh dear God gimme a break. How can it be all about race, when he is supposed to be representing ALL nations, and therefore ALL races from those nations? I do have a question, though. What is the difference in position function between the President of the General Assembly, and the Secretary? The Secretary General is supposed to carry out the wishes of what the Council decides upon, right? So, President of General Assembly says to Sec. Gen. "This is what we want, etc"

As seen here

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Ah yes, the infamous race card. In the hands of a black person, this card can be played anytime there is a white person involved, and it trumps everything. My respect for Mandela has just plunged quite a bit. Is this race nonsense EVER going to end?

5. Robert Harris

That's pretty much it, I think. President of GA is one of the member countries, a more or less honorary position. Changes regularly -- I think each session. He/she presides at the meetings of the GA. Does not have dictatorial powers, though, but can ingfluence3 debate and agenda.. Decisions of members are made by vote.

Secy General heads a staff of thousands (I think) that is responsible for carrying out whatever is required to implement decisions voted on by the member nations in the General Assembly or the Security Council -- most serious ones are dealt with by the Security Council which approves peacekeeping missions, invasions and the like.

Secretary General selected by vote of members and serves a four-year term, usually renewed for a second term unless the incumbent has managed to really piss off some of the members. By tradition of formal agreement, I am not sure which, position is roptated among continents.
    I wrote this from memory and may be off on some details, but I think the basic story is right unless -- as one of our members says in his signature -- I am wrong. :)

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Mandela actually made this kind of accusation? OK, let's see...Bush HIMSELF said he would champion to make billions of dollars of HIV/AIDS monies available for Africa. I wonder if Nelson heard that?

He's acting like an ass. Nothing wrong with that, but playing the race card--especially when a great gift is looming--is plain stupid, and not in keeping with a man of his stature.

I hope Kofi comes back with something public.

SM

7. Sierra Mike

And Nelson's memory is especially short:

That's right, Nelson...America was pro-Apartheid the entire way. You might remember those days, when the US was a champion for your release?

No?

Well, all right, then. No sense in letting facts and history impede your personal agenda.

:rolleyes:

SM

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Like "No comments from the peanut gallery?"

9. Robert Harris

We need to find some honorable position for people who once have done wonderful and useful things but who have become flaky and should not be allowed to speak out in public, a position that would keep them busy enouugh that they would not have time to open their mouths. Like maybe sweeping streets. :)

10. Sierra Mike

It's pretty obvious that Mandela has strong personal feelings about the President. That's fine.

But to defame the entire country? To essentially lay waste to everything?

So much for playing the part of an elder statesman. I give Teddy Kennedy more credibility now.

SM

11. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

He is a person of power and color who is using a political platform to hopefully achieve a greater good by using possibly less than altruistic methods.

Generally and broadly I usually don't have a problem with such language or playing the race card in an adversarial or political arena if the rules are the same for all and it is a good faith use of the tactic in the proper venue.

What I really don't like about racial or similar arguments is in most cases and especially by "spokespersons or representatives" of racial groups it more often than not the punch line is that if you are white, anything you do that effects non-whites in an alleged negative way is racist or racially motivated. One unstated but clear message is whites are by some flaw inherently racist. Implied in the same assumption that is non-whites are incapable of being racist. It is psychologically and genetically impossible.

This permeates our society at ALL levels. A good example is when whites allegedly practice discrimination against non-whites it is just that, discrimination. But when discrimination is allegedly practiced against whites it is "reverse" discrimination.

There is a powerful message in the term "reverse discrimination." Both the term and concept!

The fact is that there is only discrimination. Period! There is no such thing in reality as reverse discrimination! And discrimination knows know limits or restriction with regards to any ethnic group at the individual level.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I think Mandela just wanted some attention. He said Bush was interested in Iraq's oil because Iraq provides over 65% of all crude oil. The article I read put in parentheses that actually, Iraq only produces 5%.

13. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

According to Reuters, Mandela also "said he would support without reservation any action agreed upon by the United Nations against Iraq."

So it seems Mandela is all for a "holocaust"--provided the French and Germans approve.

14. Robert Harris

It probably is time to start ignoring the old fool. Here is his latest -- in effect saying, "We don't want to look at any facts except those found by the UN's blind men."

Mandela says Powell is undermining United States

By JAPAN MATHEBULA, Associated Press Writer

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa - Former South African President Nelson Mandela said Wednesday U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell's presentation to the United Nations undermined the U.N.'s own efforts to determine whether Iraq was concealing weapons of mass destruction.

Speaking before Powell's speech to the world body, Mandela said chief UN weapons inspectors Hans Blix and Mohamed El Baradei were the only ones with the authority to determine whether Iraq was complying with U.N. resolutions.

"We are going to listen to them and to them alone. We are not going to listen to the United States of America. They are not telling us how they got that information," Mandela told reporters.

Mandela has repeatedly criticized the United States and Britain, saying they were ignoring the will of the United Nations and pursuing their own belligerent policies against Iraq.

More: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../ap_wo_en_po/af_gen_south_africa_mandela_us_1

15. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am surprised Nelson didn't call Powell Uncle Tom.

16. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

For certain people of certain colors, everything is about race.

17. Sierra Mike

Well, one thing that has me a touch curious is Kofi's silence on this. The generally accepted attribute is Silences Equates Approval, and that's pretty damaging.

SM