1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Phone time

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

While my "el cheapo" ZTE Open has performed admirably in the time I've had it, there are a couple of things that I've grown to seriously hate about it (typing on it continues to be a bloody pain) as well as frequency limitations that restrict the providers I can go with.

So...... I've been researching mid-range unlocked devices. For a while, I was looking seriously at the One Plus One. However, the size just made me cringe as I really don't want a freaking phablet. Then ASUS announced a few weeks ago that they're releasing the ZenFone 2 in North America. Similar (if not better) specs than the One Plus One and cheaper by about 50 bucks.

Problem again, is the device is huge. Unfortunately, looking at the offerings from other manufacturers in the 5 to 5.5 inch range don't give you much. Closest is Motorola and the internal specs on the devices aren't the greatest (although they're a lot cheaper).

Between the One Plus One and the ZenFone 2, I'm leaning towards the ZenFone. ASUS just announced they're coming out with newer ZenFone 2 models that use the Snapdragon CPUs over the original Intel ATOM CPUs in the original phones. No price point as yet as they were just announced, but I can't see them being that much more expensive than the current offerings.

The biggest plus I see with the ASUS devices is they provide additional storage abilities via a MicroSD slot. The One Plus One phones don't offer this. And while the Cyanogen OS on the One Plus is VERY tempting, it's not without its issues.

The reviews for both devices tend to be decent, so it pretty much comes down to price and what you're looking for in a phone. As I need an unlocked device that can be used on both sides of the border, I'm not going to be looking at the current "Flagship" offerings. No bloody way I'm going to spend that kind of money on a phone (especially when I'm beginning to think about replacing my notebook).

ASUS ZenFone 2 Review: A real Mid-range Smartphone Kick in the Pants - SlashGear

It'll be a bit before I make a final decision. I'm waiting to see what the new devices with the Snapdragon chips are like before I decide on a final choice. But as it stands right now, it's looking like ASUS is going to get the nod either with the ATOM powered phone or the Snapdragon (depending on how the reviews flesh out once it's released).

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member