1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC on order & a few questions...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by HaYwIrE, Nov 6, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sicko!

My G2 is armed!

2. pupowski

pupowski Banned

Dells are excellent value, but my partner and I hate Microsoft licensing practices, cost, and quality, so we switched to Macs and OSX last year. We would buy PC's again if OSX was an option, or lixux became more user friendly. I don't understand why the same hardware can't be made to run either OS, since OSX is built over UNIX. Like Coot, I prefer to build my home PC, but that isn't an option with Macs.

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I thought for sure that Apple was going to deliver a nasty blow to Microsoft by releasing OS X for the x86 PC's. Unfortunately, all that is available is Darwin. Basically, Darwin is OS X that will run on an x86 machine, but the Aqua GUI is not present. I think Apple should get out of the hardware business completely and focus on their OS. Microsoft's Windows OS's would be in very, very serious trouble if they did that.

4. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Trouble my ass. Microsoft is way too imbedded into the business market for anyone to ever hurt them.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

In order to hurt Microsoft you need to deny them profits for 1 full year because they keep enough cash on hand to run the company for a full year without making a dime. After that maybe even Bill Gates could probably continue to fund Microsoft to survive for years....

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

That'll never happen. :)

SM

7. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Like that'll ever happen...
    • Every brand name computer comes with Windows installed on it.
    • Every company in the world uses it.
    • All software is compatible with it... supposed to be, anyway.
    It just ain't gonna happen. Microsoft will always be number one in the market.

Not that I like it... just stating fact. ;)

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

First one true (unless you call Microtel a brand name), second one, I wouldn't say every but the majority, the third one is a bit of a strech...

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Techie,

Every organization I've been in uses a Windows platform on their desktops, if nothing else.

I rarely see Linux in the real corporate environment.

SM

10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I think you're wrong! Microsoft fears nothing more than the open source movement. If and when Linux gets to a truly user-friendly point in its evolution, people will be faced with choosing between a $200 OS or a fee one. As long as the free one is as good as in terms of compatibility, driver/hardware support, etc., it will win.

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Dell used to sell servers with Red Hat preinstalled. Unfortunately, Microsoft bullied them into stopping. Basically, Microsoft told them that if they continue, they will no longer be able to sell PC's with Windows. That's what I call using a monopoly to your advantage.