1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC on order & a few questions...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by HaYwIrE, Nov 6, 2002.

1. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

512MB Ram
    30 gig hard drive (I'll add an additional 60 gigger myself
    64MB Graphics card (the good one)
    CD/DVD Writer
    17" Diamondtron Monitor
    HP Scanner
    HP Printer
    Digital Camera
    Web Cam
    Windows XP Pro
    Office XP Small Business

First question... Will Quake II and III work on it? What about any other Win98 software? How much money am I gonna be looking at spending?
  2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I have much the same system (1.53 ghz processor) and I've had no problem with loading and playing Quake II... Deus Ex is another that plays quite well on my machine...

BDD... :{)
  3. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Just out of curiosity, how much did that lot cost in the US?

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

From MicronPC.com:

Millennia TS2
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.40GHz (533FSB)(512K cache)
    512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM-2 DIMMs
    40GB ATA-100 hard drive (7200RPM)
    16x48x Variable Speed DVD-ROM
    48x12x48x CDRW w/1 CD rewritable
    1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive Integrated
    64MB DDR nVidia Geforce4 TI4200 AGP Card w/(VGA, DVI, and TV-out)
    17in MicronPC CM700 Monitor (16in viewable, .25mm dp)
    Integrated 6 Channel Premium Audio
    Altec Lansing AVS300 3-Piece Speaker System
    56K V.92 PCI Modem
    3Com 3C905CX 10/100 PCI Network Card w/WOL
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Minitower 300W w/Front USB
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Office XP Small Business
    Desktop One-Year Limited Parts Warranty and Technical Support Policy
    DT Next Business Day On-Site 1st Yr

Total Price

Add a few hundred more for scanner/printer
  5. jamming

jamming Banned

Dude you should get a Dell ;)
  6. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

In USD or OZD, still cheap.

(Yes, DELL is good)

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Been using Dells for about 8 years now. Love em. :)
  8. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Plus if you're involved in education you get a discount. College or K-12 faculty, staff and students can get a discount on any Dell computer purchased. Dude! I'm thinking about getting a Dell to replace my Vaio that has given me nothing but trouble since day one.
  9. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

I got a Dell... all of that plus a scanner. printer, sidwinder joystick, digital camera, webcam and a UPS backup battery for about $2100.
  10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Good for you...Dells are the best on the market.

11. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Great system Haywire.One suggestion...bump that video card up to the Ti4400 or Ti4600 @128MB.
    I had a 64MB card. Was playing Battelfield 1942 for about an hour before I admitted to myself it was time to move up.

Although my system met the *minimum requrements* for the game frame rates were not acceptable, at least to me. My frame rate practically tripled when I moved up to the PNY Ti4400.

Minimum requirements are very misleading. Basically what minimum requirements means is the game will run without crashing. Smooth play is not a factor imo when these requirements are defined.

PS. I have a Dell and I love it.
  12. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

HaYwIrE, that thing will eat Quake II and III for breakfast. You should have no problems running any 3D game unless that 64MB card is a very outdated GeForce 2 or something like that. If that's the case, all you'd need is a new video card.
  13. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Just out of curiousity, why would you buy one from a manufacturer rather than build your own? I build a new one every 6 months for just around 2/3 the price of going out and buying one...I get better hardware and I generally sell the one I get rid of for what it cost me to build.
  14. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

15. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I used to. But earn enough for others to build it for me. ;)
  16. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

It's actually an enjoyable process...I get almost like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for the FedEx truck to show up with my new toys ;)
  17. mikeky

mikeky Member

Man, I'm surrounded by Dell dudes (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm partial to Micron, but Dells are good; looks like you got a good deal Haywire, and nice picture (good redeye fix too BDD).
  18. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

There are few things that get me more excited than getting to assemble my own PC. I just loooooove taking a new motherboard out of its box....mmmmm...that new motherboard scent. Someone should bottle that smell. I try to limit myself to one new PC every two years, but it's so hard. I promised to buy myself only one new PC toy for Christmas - a Plextor 48x24x48 CD-RW drive. Yummy.
  19. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Cute kids yes, well maybe not Shiny's but I assume he wouldn't mind if a 300 lb hairy guy didn't think he was cute.;)

I love to build my own. I have 6 running at my house right now. I am in the process of building a couple more. I love doing that stuff though. I like to know exactly what is in my computer and how it all works. I am a JAVA Programmer and love just about anything computer related. I also help my company buy their computers. All from DELL. I would recommend DELL to those that are not interested in what goes on inside. That is by no means a slam, I have no interest what goes on inside my car. I don't even change my own oil anymore. I make enough to pay others to do that for me.;) DELL has been doing a bang up job for us. in the last 2 years we have bought over 300 computers from them. A few of Quad Xeon Processor Servers with Gigs of RAM down to 1Ghz Celerons to use as cash registers.

In the last 2 years we have had one HDD fail and a Vid card in a server and a vid card in a desktop. Not a single DOA and nothing that we weren't able to take care of. DELLs are a little more expensive, and they don't upgrade as easliy, but the are great machines. I am typing on one right now. Maybe I should get back to work.

20. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Well, I just got home with 8 NiMH batteries, a charger and a 256MB card for my digital camera.

That's 2,855 pictures on the lowest resolution or 356 pictures on the highest resolution. That should be enough for now. :_