1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MMORPG: RIFT

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Andy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Best part about the rifts for me is that you DO have a role in the outcome of what happens in the game. When MAJOR rifts open, there is a massive movement of mobs to strategic points on the map (and you see them on the map. If you mouseover the mob icon (crossed swords) on the map, it MAY give you approximation of its troop movement. So if you get organized really fast -- and people are more than happy to do this fast -- you MAY cut them off. If you don't they go for your strategic points, overtake them, and then move on to the cities. From small villages to main cities. I've seen where the entire map is controlled by the Rift's mob.

It doesn't last long, but the public quests (these are automatically popped up on the screen as soon as Rifts' mobs start moving--also auto accepted) are all FAILED for everyone logged in. Not that big of a deal, but you DO want a sense of accomplishment and try to do better next time--as do other Rift hunters.

PVP is done as Andy said, but just to add. There ARE Defiance Rifts (if you are a Guardian) that open up but they are not controlled by players. You also don't get flagged for PVP if you want to accomplish pushing them back (also, there are private and PUBLIC quests for these as well).

On top of this, there are also BattleGrounds. Defiance seems so much better than Guardians in these and I've been to more than a few of them (over ten) and have yet to win one.

2. ethics

I saw we all start with Guardians. We can always roll Defiance later. Heck, we started with Alliance with WoW and then when more GA folks came on we all went to Horde. So who knows.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This is why I rolled a Defiant. The description appealed to me in many ways! :haha:

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

yeah i don't really mind either which side to roll on, I have a Defiant Bahmi Warrior also, but I choose that race based on the last set of racials which have drastically changed (so I've heard ;) )

Kelari seem to be all the rage, i.e the Trolls of the bad guys

They pretty much break down a la WoW also, Guardians have Dwarfs, High Elves and Mathosians (humans) whereas Defiant have Kelari,(troll?) Eth, (??) and Bahmi (ogre)

I do know this.. Defiant seems to outnumber Guardians 3-1 on the shard I play on.

It might be a good idea to go Guard at first to get a good feel since the quest givers/objectives won't be overrun so damned much come the initial land rush

5. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

By pre-ordering it says I receive an invite to all future betas, but now I see there are betas keys, and VIP beta keys???? Since the next beta is tomorrow, I might be too late to get in or will I? Do I also need a key?

6. Biker

When you pre-order, you automatically get in to all betas. All you need to do is download the beta software from your account page.

7. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Thanks. I'll look for a download link. I'm off work today and tomorrow so have plenty of time.

It does say I'm not invited to any betas yet though. I assume that's where the link will be.

8. Biker

Probably won't see it until tomorrow. Mine doesn't show an invite yet, either.

9. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I was able to find a download link for the beta, which I'm doing right now. Hopefully I'll only have to apply the beta 6 patch later when I get the invite. Right now I'm going to read up more on the classes, I'm leaning towards a cleric weighted on DPS. Wasn't too thrilled with the Wizard lines, I did so much tanking in LOTRO I probably will stay away from that at the beginning too.

10. ethics

Wow, cool, stio is on board!!

11. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Just got my invite. I guess tomorrow's schedule is set................. :rofl:

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Just got an invite email...and I did not pre-order the game. Downloading the client right now. See what happens....

13. ethics

Got mine this am as well...

L

14. ethics

Let's sync up on the server and side?

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Hell yes. But I won't be on until after 9:00 PM tonight.

16. ethics

Will let you know on which it was decided on then?

17. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Doesn't matter to me. I'll be busy trying to figure things out for some time anyway. Does the game have a voice system?

18. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

looks like I got mine as well. And like Jimeez, won't be on till later this evening.

19. ethics

Don't know, didn't look before. If not, can always jump on vent.

20. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I just signed up for the beta, got my invitation, and am all set to play for the Saturday stress test. It should be interesting and we'll see how it goes tomorrow.