1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MMORPG: RIFT

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Andy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fwiw.. I really like the sound of this post, and would love to follow these guys as to where they end up rolling..

"Unofficial Old School Server"

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Not too bad. Keep us posted.

I am actually going to do A LOT of rifts. Perhaps there will be a guild leaning on that. If we can get a large enough interest, raiding rifts with something like 50 people would be friggin epic. We'd get really good at it!

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I like how when a rift or invasion opens up, and the more people join in the group, it seems the rift dynamically adjusts to make it a bit harder based on the number of players attacking it.

The best ones are the ones you get the bonus round of mobs and a huge one spawns at the end that the group has a hard time with.

Unless you are 10+ levels above the rift level, it's no pushover.

6. ethics

Oh hell ya. The appeal is the challenge! The Major Rifts are downright epic in fights when people want to join the fray!

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

So bottom line: worth the dough?

8. ethics

To me It is...YMMV.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'll second this one. While it does look intriguing, I haven't played enough to really decide whether I really like it or not. The brief time I played on Friday didn't really stand out as anything awesome.

10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Well, how about when you get bored with this one, just send me your account info? ;)

11. Stonehawk

Stonehawk AKA Jerry

Broke down and ordered this today. Dont know how much time I have to dedicate to it, but it is worth the risk I think. Cant wait to try out the beta and see for myself.

I just thank god that there is no cow in this game for Ethics to fixate on.... ;)

Stay safe,

J

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd say the same.

I'm not going to stand here and tout it as the greatest thing since pong, but I like what i see so far, it's what I'm looking for as a distraction/paradigm shift from the mind numbing routine WoW has become. (And am still eagerly awaiting the SWToR release too)

The only real way to tell yourself is go over to the rift website and create an account (it's free) then get over to the Facebook page and watch come this Wed-Thur-Fri for when they toss out more VIP beta keys and add it to your account ASAP to get in the last beta this Friday.

They put them out in bulk where one key is good for 50-75 users, others also have spare beta keys now and then they post up too. No idea where they come from.

13. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

ok the more I read about this the more I am thinking this might be a really cool game. may just go ahead and get the collector's edition (has some really cool stuff)

Need to check to see my laptop will handle it.

14. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

So players are battling the baddies when a rift opens, but are the Guardians fighting the Defiant as well? Is it like open PVP? Do both classes drop their hate and then work together? Watching the teaser trailers it's isn't clear. What's the goal of the game, is there one or do you just stand around doing minor quests until a rift opens?

15. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It can be on a PvP server, on a PvE you need to speciffically flag to do so.

They can, it depends on the community, and the asshats behind the other keyboard, you can also open a rift on top of the enemy and watch the hilarity ensue.

The 'goal" is to eventually ward off all the invasions and save the World, Which from what I gather is not happening anytime soon.

It's FAR from WoW where you "stand around" and queue/quest.. Most quests require exploring, gathering and making new relationships with factions as you progress. There are breadcrum quests, and ones you get from discovering NPCs in remote areas too.

There is also a decent dungeon system that you can start in quite early on in levels (10-ish)

16. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

ok so I have pre order this. So when is the next beta event?

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10am tomorrow

18. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

What faction are people here joining? Understanding that this would be after beta...you don't get to keep your beta toons, or do you? If I play I'd rather be in the same faction as those I know here, although I tend to be a soloer at heart. Just makes it easier.

19. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I rolled a Defiant.. Not sure what everyone else rolled.

20. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

When the live servers become self aware, all beta characters will be wiped.

I've actually come to like the Guardian faction very much for now, the Defiant starting area seemed a bit depressing to start off in with trying to get a feel for the game.

Doesn't hurt to try out both at least to the point of getting out of the starter zones to the bridge where you see the opposing faction on the other side of the river shooting back at you, takes 1-2 hours at most.