1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MMORPG: RIFT

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Andy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So I DVR'd the final 5 episodes of Caprica, and I happened to catch a commercial being repeated over and over with the catch phrase was "You're not in Azeroth anymore" for a new game called Rift.

Rift Website

Looks interesting, I can't believe I haven't heard of this before, one of the reviews I caught summed it up as "It took everything that players hate about current WoW, threw it out, went back to what players loved about vanilla Wow and ramped that up times ten, and then sprinkled in a ton of stuff you never thought possible.

I can't get the trailer to embed here, but check out the video here titled "Enter the Rift" for a good feel of how it looks and plays.

Looks very interesting, they are taking pre-orders now @ $49 or $59 for a collectors edition (both get you founder's subscription pricing and entry into the ongoing beta now) and it is set to launch live in March 2011.

2. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

That looks interesting. I think we have beta codes somewhere for this when we went to PAX. Might have to try it out

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Player created video from the last beta event.

Do yourself a favor, hit up the 1080p version and go full screen .. pretty sweet looking, I'm near the point of preordering to get in the last beta.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is a vid of what I've been looking for, actual gameplay with the UI and quests.

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Took a look through their forums. I see the same exact crying there that I see in the WoW forums. Should read the massive QQ about rogues and stealth. :doh1:

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Which means it will kick ass. ;)

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've been going through the forums for over a week, the only real crybabies I've seen are the WoW fanbois complaining about WoW related crap, there are several consistent posters that have actually played in the betas (4 so far) seem to be leaving constructive criticism, and most of the time it seems that the devs are listening to feedback and trying to make changes accordingly.

I took a leap and pre-ordered, which will get me a beta code for the next one that starts in a week or so and founder pricing if I like it, and I can get my mits on it myself to see if it feels as nice as several of the 10-15 minute player made videos I've sat through.

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

WooT

Post placed there for obvious reasons...

10. ethics

Fookit, just pre-ordered mine.

11. ethics

Soooo, as I said, got in to BETA, which went live yesterday and put a few hours in already.

What can I say? I love it.

It does what WoW, LOTRO, and a few others already did (it's actually more EQ2 than any of them) but does something pretty nifty. The random Rifts. Those fights are like "For the Horde" quest, except win or lose you are constantly getting loot at your level. It gathers as you and your raid defend and take back our cities, villes, towns, etc... and it's constant flow if people are doing it right. Meaning coordinating fights, leading the raids, etc...

Here I thought the fights would get boring, but not only are they random but so are the mobs, how and where they attack, what they want, etc... Enough to keep busy for a while. We pushed back one of the three Rifts and it was hard as hell. But certainly showed people the difference between working together or a bunch of us running around.

The other huge plus are the class and just how varied and so many of the differences to make things unknown for a while. Someone mentioned that there's no class balance? Know what? Who cares? We did an in game poll to see who is playing a weak class and no one came forward. Almost all said they feel they have a powerful class AND they were having a blast. I've never seen someone say in General "hey, this Cleric is fun!"

Now let me go back to EQ and EQ2. The games were still THE most fun to play. Problem was that they couldn't compete with the graphic engines coming out of WoW and add to that that EQ took TIME to work at, HUGE losses for death, it was a much more mature crowd that played and... well, you know the numbers/profits game. EQ games are still alive and kicking just nowhere near WoW numbers.

But I digress.

What Rift did for me here is bring back all facets of the games I've loved playing without the negative aspects. WoW gameplay without cartoonish graphics. LOTRO graphics without the horrid combat feel. EQ classes, and fun, without the crap graphics and without horrifying penalties. That's what you get here. Hell, THE last best class for me to play was a EQ Necro. Since then I've went through alts trying to get a feel to playing that class as I could. Nothing came close but there, yesterday, I see with the shard... NECROMANCER!!!! :)

Anyway, there's still negatives, it's not perfect and hell, it's why it's BETA. Lag is bad at times, knockouts from the server to fix and patch are frustrating, the game engine is VERY demanding. Even with my monster of a machine, I can not play on ultra settings (unlike all the games prior to this one). BUT, setting some things lower doesn't make the game "gray" like it did in LOTRO and EQ. Grass is just right around you not all over the fields type of a thing.

I am extremely excited for the launch, I hope they don't EA the game though. ;)

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Excellent.... /Mr Burns

Fwiw.. the shard I'm playing on *cough* has practically no lag whatsoever, and I've found (along with many others who have commented the same) that AA is the most GPU intensive setting, and I have mine shut off, otherwise I can play with nearly every other vid setting maxed and still get a consistent 35+ FPS.

I got a chance to tool around with a cleric class and was kicking some decent ass with a Justicar/Druid/Shaman build.

I'm loving the option to do nothing but go arond the map hunt down rifts and play Riftbusters, even tackling some of the lower level ones solo is fun as hell.

I have to pull back a bit though, I don;'t want to get too far into the game before it's actually released.

13. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

So the FAQ says a notebook should have a video card of Nvidia GTX 200 or better. My Sager NP5793 has a Nvidia GTX 8800. So can it play Rift? It meets all the other requirements. Biker said I should get into WoW but I said that sort of game did not interest me.

However, I really like the video on the previews of this and I think I'd like to give this a try if my notebook can handle it.

14. ethics

So got my "hunter" up to 20 yesterday and had one of the best experiences in years.

I love the public group/raid feature. This is where you run up to defiance or Rift and a button appears on top to "Join Public Group". As soon as you do, you are part of the raid. No questions, no rules, no waiting. POOF. You are in, now show us how you can help the forces! I love how auto-quest is also a feature here, meaning that as soon as you come upon a Rift, or Defiance (even some quests) there's a "QUEST ACCEPTED" notification across your screen and you have the quest for that particular part of the adventure.

Last night, MAJOR rifts were opened and they started attacking AND overtaking cities. We finally said enough is enough and everyone on Silverwoods mobilized and lead by 5 different raids each consisting of about 50 people each. If you've never seen that many people at once, it's a sight to behold -- in fairness, the cities were just crawling with mobs, I mean sea of red with their name/tags. The raid leaders would then make major announcements in general (like, "we are pushing them back south by the broken wagon" and then a huge WOOT after the main boss was taken down (and it took MANY people). I can't describe the feeling here because it needs to be experienced. No, it's not like a raid for many reasons.

Anyway, the more I play the more immersed I get. Has not happened to me in a very long time. :)

15. Biker

OK fine.. Just signed up and was accepted. :haha:

16. ethics

BETA was supposed to end today though, Tom. It was extended in to tomorrow. ;)

17. Biker

Pre-ordered as well. So automatic acceptance into all betas and Headstart on the 24th.

18. Biker

What server you guys on?

19. ethics

Random now... Just trying different ones... But we should definitely agree on one when headscart kicks in...

20. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nobody at this point is sure exactly what the server names will be on release or how many of what type will be opened at first, but I do foresee a crush on them the first few days as witnessed by the last beta implosion when it opened up.

Being in the head start, I'm aiming for a plain old PvE server, non RP-type.