1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New KMart store closings

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Stiofan, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

<a href="http://www.kmartcorp.com/corp/story/pressrelease/news/pr030114a.stm">List of store closings</a> here.

Opinions on if they'll survive? It's looking pretty dicey to me. Drive by their stores and there are still none too many cars in the lot. Stores are just not clean enough, stock is depleted, etc.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Well it depends they may survive by doing away with the marginal stores as long as they don't loose consumer confidence as well. Or they could go the same way as Ames Stores.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Oh no, I go to the one in Alhambra all the time! :cry:

SM

4. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

To quote Dustin Hoffmans character in the movie "Rainman":

"K-mart sucks"

Nuff said.rofl

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Kmarts allow you to quickly shop when you don't have time for the parking lot at WalMart. And our stores are not closing.

6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

KMart is being sunk by by its business model, and some pretty aggressive trading tactics by WalMart. From the outside, WalMart looks to be a modern success story, but internally things are a bit different. WalMart has a much higher than normal percentage lawsuits against it on both the labor side and the consumer side.

If you take a close look at WalMart's business strategy, it's not a lot different than Microsoft's. They corner whole markets for goods and freeze their competition out of the game.

I don't see KMart surviving the long haul, and Target is probably next on the WalMart hit list.

7. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Ever since my small town got a Super Wal*Mart store a few years ago, they have been sucking the lifeforce out of other stores. Our local Ames store closed last year, and our KMart will be closing now too, according to that list(Mill Hall, PA).

As much as I hate to see a monopoly, Wal*Mart is CLEARLY the best place here to shop for just about anything - even groceries. I hate to say it, but I shop there all the time, and I hardly ever go to KMart.

Am I part of the problem? IS this a problem? I don't know...just asking questions. ;)

8. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

I am a bargin shopper to the extreem. Any time I make a purchase that is going to cost me more than about $20.00 I shop around to compare prices and quality. Walmart, Target, and Kmart are all close to home, and I have been known to go to all three before making a purchase. When looking for a brand item that I could get at any of the locations Walmart has the lowest price 99% of the time. On the few occasions I have purchased something at Kmart it was more times than not returned due to low quality. I pretty much quit going to Kmart alltogether about a year ago because their stores in our area were usually unclean and often the employees where not helpfull or just plain rude. I shop at Walmart for just about everything other than clothing. (I have found that alot of times their clothes fall apart. My daughter calls it "Walmart fall apart.";) ) We have had several new Walmart and Target "super centers" open in our area and they are great. All of the Kmart stores in our area are expected to close very soon. I have to say I for one won't miss them one bit. However I do feel for all the employees they have in the area that will soon be out of a job.:cry:

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

We have found WalMart to be consistently cheapest in household goods and cannned and dry goods; quality tends not to be an issue in these areas.

Their clothing is crap.

Meat & dairy quality is OK, but better can be found at any decent supermarket. Produce? It is to laugh! Supermarket, every time!

Now, as to K-Mart, I think their problem is they failed to differentiate themselves in the consumer's minds. They are a discount retailer, competing in the same market as WalMart, but their prices are somewhat higher. Who wants to pay more for the same stuff? The answer to that lies in the massive store closings and (to me) inevitable Chapter 7 proceedings.

Target, on the other hand, has clearly distinguished itself as an "upscale" discount retailer, offering items that cannot be found in WalMart, and enjoying an across-the-board higher price differential, to boot. The joke is that people go shopping at "Tar-zhay" (pronounced with a French accent). The reality is that people perceive Target to be more upscale than WalMart and worth the extra cost.

K-Mart never discovered the formula for that kind of success.

10. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Well, in the days of yore, Kmart was the biggest retailer and Sam the little guy. As long as Walmart stuck to the sticks, so to speak, everything was OK. As they moved into the suburbs, then the urban strongholds where Kmart excelled, things started to change. I don't think Kmart has the cash to expand their stores to include supermarket items and the like, and without doing that I"m afraid they're doomed.

11. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I am OK with K-Mart closing. The Martha Stewart stuff is mostly overpriced crap. Target, OTOH, is a different story. While I agree that they have differentiated themselves from K-Mart, they still have descent prices on things. At least here. Before the new Wal*Mart I would often find myself driving to Target and Wal*Mart as they were across the street from each other. Now, Target is 15 miles away and Wal*Mart is 6. So I don't really know about Target over the last 8 months or so.

Also, like you said Target does have things that Wal*Mart doesn't. Target's music selection is still cheaper than the mall and is not regulated by Wal*Mart censors. Their store, their choice, I just don't buy music from Wal*Mart. Target does have better clothes than Wal*Mart. Not undies and socks and stuff, but pants and shirts and kid clothes. Their clearance racks are really good for us bigger guys and my daughters' clothes seem to last longer. Wal*Mart is the biggest and K-Mart will go the way of PayLess Drugs.

wapu

12. Craig

Craig Registered User

It's really a shame the nicest K-Mart in may area is slated for closing in Tequesta, FL. It's by far the cleanest, most well stocked and best managed stores in my area. My wife will certainly miss shopping there.

13. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Craig. :)

(sorry didn't have an opinion on this, just wanted to welcome you on your first post is all ;))

14. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Think of all the money you'll save:happy:

15. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

My local Super-K in Carson, CA does (or did) include a supermarket. Has been there for several years. K-Marts in California always had the feel of Pick-and-Save with higher prices. I rarely went there.

16. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Wow, hi Craig :) Welcome.

Here in Orlando, we recently found out that the large plot of land across the street from my housing complex is slated to be a Super Walmart. On the one hand, shopping is going to be SOOOOOO easy now, but on the other hand, the traffic that Wal-Marts create is going to make me hate driving in and out of my complex. I can already envision the traffic jams forming at lights.

We have a super-walmart about 5 minutes from my house - just 3 miles west of us. But it's INSANE. You cannot shop there. I have stopped shopping at that wal-mart all together because I just cannot stand the massive amount of people who go there. Since it's the only Wal-mart in the east orlando area, and since we're chock full of college students and new housing is constantly sprouting everywhere, the number of people going to that wal-mart gets worse every month.

But the Merritt Island wal-mart - WOW, that's a nice one. Nice, clean, crowds aren't that much of an issue, employees are happy to be there. I would rather drive 45 minutes to go to that one rather than the one just 3 miles down my house. And when they build the new one across the street from me...oy vey... I'm hoping that the rumors I've heard are true, and that they will not be closing the super wal-mart down the road. This wal-mart is supposed to provide some sort of relief to the other one. But from the plans I've seen, this wal-mart is going to be HUGE, so of course everyone's going to want to go to the nice new store :cry:

I might just put my beautiful house up for sale if the traffic gets that bad. :( And I love my house.

Now Target, on the other hand - or as Steve recognized it as Tarzhay, is nice here. We've got one that's got the market, and they've got awesome things. Produce is nice and fresh, good prices, the store is nice and clean - they even have a good-sized coffee shop inside the store, so you can take a break from shopping and drink some delicious coffee. Currently, the wal-mart here has disgusting produce - I wouldn't give it to a rabbit. I prefer to pay a little more, and go to the grocery store, where they always have nice fresh stuff. Wal-mart's bakery is also nasty. I go to the bakery in the grocery store, which makes the best bread in my area. And I'm a bread fiend.

Wal-mart is basically for packaged foods, toiletries, and pet supplies (unless I need specific things, like Advantage - then it's the vet). But for other things, it's Tarzhay, Lowe's (wal-mart's garden center sucks ass AND it's more expensive than lowe's to boot), the local grocery store, and other specialty shops.

I haven't shopped at Kmart for years. And back when there was no such thing as wal-mart, kmart was my last choice for anything. Regardless of what I bought there, it was always a crappy product and usually had to be returned. And it was always such a hassle to return stuff, that we stopped going to them the same week wal-mart opened up near our home. So I don't care that Kmart is going under - I do feel bad for the employees who will be losing their jobs, especially in this economy. But the store itself? Pfft.

The one thing I do worry about Wal-mart being the only one left standing is what will happen to their prices when they successfully manage to kill everyone else off?

17. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Target will never ever see my business again due to something I found out a couple of months ago..

Here's a quote from an email I received from a friend of mine and the ensuing reply to my query as to the validity of the email..

And Mr Forrey's reply to my query:

18. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Our local KMart is one of the ones that has been spared. I don't shop there anymore tho. I used to because the Walmart here is so poorly layed out...it's like a maze. But I go there now because the pricing on the dog food and such is so cheap.
    Unfortunately, we have NO superstores here at all. I would love to go to one place and do all my shopping, but....I'll have to wait until I move to florida :)

19. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Personally, KMart closing don't affect me at all. I stopped shopping at them a few years ago due to terrible customer service and dirty stores.

To be honest, I don't really shop at Wal-Mart either. The ones by me at least, are disorganized and crowded.

Now, if Target started to close up, I'd be pissed! :) It's pretty much the only "discount" store that I shop at. It's usually clean, items are easy to find, and the pricing is fair.

P.S. Welcome Craig! Good to see you here!

20. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Yeah, I forgot to say that. I checked out the deerfield link to the fire department....A ski mobile, huh? I guess you really do need that in your area. At first (because I am QUITE unobservant), I thought it was deerfield in Florida...that's where I want to move to... but, alas, when I saw the ski mobile, I finally got the hint, lol.
    We have volunteer fire departments here also. Great bunch of people.

As for Target, we have them here, but it's about a 20 minute ride from me so I don't go to it. Went to one in Florida when we were there and I found it to be very nice. Upgraded.
    Here we also have Kohl's.... but that is mainly clothing and housewares... a little downgraded from JC Penny is how I would describe it. But, again, much needed in the area. The store is always jammed.