1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Jersey, Arm Pit of America?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Violet1966, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Um bob...don't know what the hard on is over NJ but man...you're kidding right? ;)

http://njtimes.rutgers.edu/invent.htm

http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1993/

http://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/02/q4/1009-kahneman.htm

Many many movie stars and athletes come from NJ. NJ has been famous for it's shoreline and has been a place to go in the summer for the longest time. There's been a lot of bad that we see relating to garbage and over population in NJ but times have changed and things got messy. The United States and the world, without the existance of the State of NJ, might have been a much more boring place and we might not have technology as we know today had it not been for the existance of a state named New Jersey. LOL I have to defend my home state. I am proud to have been born a Jersey girl ;)

<small>I'm sure I could find other stuff about the good things with NJ, but I don't want to. Too lazy. LOL

</small>Split from this thread.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Yes many famous people came from New Jersey. How many went TO New Jersey? Read a story somewhere that Frank Sinatra would not even visit Hoboken, his home town, to be honored for something. Once he left he never looked back. Well, though, there's Richard Nixon when he couldn't buy a co-op in Manhattan because nobody wanted to live in the same building as a crook. And assorted mafia figures moved to NJ over the years. But it is best known as the place you pass throughwhen travelin gfrom from NY to Delaware, holding your nose for a good part of the way. :)

I once lived there myself. It sucked. :)

3. Violet1966

LMAO Well the address list of all the movie stars that live in Alpine could possibly be of more help. That's a very ritzy exclusive area where they flock to to live when working in the NYC area. The area where I grew up was in between that area, and the Hoboken area. I just moved from NJ actually 3 years ago this April. Lived there for 34 years.

The Story you read of Frank Sinatra was not totally true. I know of many people who have met him while visiting his old haunting grounds. I remember reading he still bought his bread in Hoboken when visiting, and I have seen pictures hanging in a bakery where he used to go to buy his Canolis. He didn't like the area because it's where he struggled. So he moved to a better area in NJ and bought his family a home in Fort Lee, (one town away from where I grew up), and he was shunned for not sticking with his home town in his early fame. Then when he returned he was pelted with fruit and he vowed never to return....but he did. I've met people who have seen him and have seen pictures of him like I said, in a bakery in Cliffside. The town he comes from is also famous for baseball. Something like it was the first place the game was played in the US or soemthing. They have a plaque on a field down there near where I used to go clubbing when I was younger.

It's unfortunate but people tend to confuse the greatness of Jersey with NY City for some reason. Like the NY Giants. They are running some commercial lately....says NY is great or something. Then they show a guy standing outside Giants stadium. Well that's in NJ. LOL Lou Costello is one who stayed with his hometown in spirit too. He left to do his thing sure but he returned to his home town of Paterson and gave back to the community. He never had to vow to never return because he didn't shun where he lived so people never hated him for it.

There's a certain pride that comes from being from NJ. People from NJ don't have it easy. They struggle with great competition that comes out of the City area and have to deal with a lot because of NYC being so close...but they become better people because of it and sometimes they don't turn back. The truely proud ones never forget where they came from when they do leave one day....like me. From NJ and damn f'in proud of it ;)

Sorry to get side tracked but had to represent ;)

4. Robert Harris

Boy, V. You would make a great saleslady. You can pitch defective products beautifully.

I know Hackensack. Not much of appeal there but my wife found a nice jacket at a store we browsed through. Some decent bars and at least one decent restaurant. Now full of yuppies from Wall Street, so there probably are more than last time I was there. There is a ferry boat to World Financial Center and rents are cheaper on that side of the river.

I also know Alpine. Had an aunt who lived there. And I think that's where Nixon wound up -- isn't it?
    My parents moved to Teaneck when I was already in college so I could avoid it most of the time, although I did live there for a couple few years shortly after I got married. I ran an elevator in Hackensack one summer. Parents later moved to Ft. Lee and then down to one of the retirement communities near the shore -- forget which one.

So I have been all around the state. Sorry, no sale, lady. It still sucks. :)

5. Violet1966

Ah you're sucking swamp water through a straw :nut:

Nixon wound up in Park Ridge actually. In a community called the Bear's Den or something like that....near the High School. Very nice area. Town away from where my two older kids live right now.

I was born in Teaneck ;)

Hackensack has gone yuppy. As has Englewood and Edgewater. That's where the ferry I believe you're talking about is near it's not actually Edgewater...it's another town but forget the name right now. The Imperitore Ferry. Man who owns APA trucking. Lots of stupid money to be made in NJ and the ones who like it stay...the ones who don't leave. I left because I didn't like the yuppy stuff going on all over. It was too phony for me. Not what I grew up with. That's what's with NJ..things changing so fast you can rarely hold onto roots there. The roots change so fast for better or worse then back and it's something totally evolved differently. But always moving forward very fast.

Well I would never try and sell anyone NJ as a place to go to raise kids or live (unless you have a ton of money and like to act plastic)....not where I grew up at least. But I will sell the fact that lots of good has come from NJ anyday. And the food...oh the food ;)

6. Robert Harris

"Ah you're sucking swamp water through a straw"

Is there any swampwater left in NJ? Thought they filled in all the wetlands to make land for stadiums and other useless things.

What happened to Edgewater is a crime. My brother lived there when it was a nice run-down slum, in the 1960s. Fabulous. Last time I went through it was terrible. New expensive buildings, etc. Bah.

There are several ferries now. One directly from Hackensack to Wall Street area, one to Jersey City from midgtwon I believe and one fro Edgewater to somewhere. And they run buses in Manhattan to connect the East side to the ferries. Nice if you want to live there.
    Another crime against humanity is what happened to Atlantic City.

7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A few I can think of who have moved (back?) here after becoming famous..

Richie Sambora, Jon Bonjovi, Max Weinberg, Geraldo Rivera, Heather Locklear, Bill Parcells, (All live within 15 miles of me/each other)
    Just to name a few..

Yeah, Jersey might suck. But why are we inundated with goddamn BENNYS in the Summertime!?!?:thumbsup:

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Bon Jovi, one of my favorite bands, and Bruce Springsteen are originally from New Jersey. ;)

9. Robert Harris

The only one on that list that I have heard of, and consider famous, is Geraldo. And he is famous mostly for being an asshole. :p

10. Violet1966

Yeah what they did to Edgewater is freaky. I hear that since last summer when I went out of my way to go down there, it's ten times worse. Total yuppy-ville. When I used to go there as a kid, to play in the old abandoned Ford plant, there was nothing there but the Binghamton boat restaurant. Now it's all condos and fancy shmancy shops. I remember when we used to call people from Edgewater, rats. They were so scruffy and nasty. LOL I grew up playing on the cliffs there of the palisades. They used to hold the Macy's fireworks right there on the hudson and we used to climb down the cliffs to go to the water and watch up close. Oh the magic (and the rats). LOL

I also used to hang out with Richie Sambora's cousin. Worked with her for a while. When you live in that area of NJ, you know at least 10 people or more, that know someone famous.

Atlantic City...hmmmmmmm. I haven't been there in like 8 years. It was on the way up from what it used to be, back then. I went with the ex husband and never got to hang out there as an adult, on my own with friends, so I never got a taste of just how nasty it really was.

Half of the state was built on swamps. The whole town of Secaucus is known for being old pig farms. Secaucus is another town that has changed too. Hoboken and Jersey city are rising back up from the ruins too. Total yuppy stuff but a nice improvement. Very pricey.

Makes me home sick talking about it but then I think how expensive things got there and I don't miss it at all. Just the food. That's all I miss really. Well I miss not being as close to the family too but it's just a car ride away and we do it often. Will be going back down soon and will do some cruising to see how things are developing. My dad says I wouldn't even recognize Edgewater anymore since last year when I drove down that way, and I have to see for myself ;)

The ferry that I used to take to go to the theater district was the one in Weehawken which is on the same road that goes to Edgewater. Yeah it was nice...you get on the city side and then take shuttle busses and it's all included. Used to love to take the ferry. I always forgot the name of that town. Even when I lived there.

11. Violet1966

Heather Locklear http://www.triviatribute.com/heatherlocklear.html

Richie Sambora and Jon BonJovi are rock stars. The group is called Bon Jovi.

http://www.islandrecords.com/bonjovi/curtain.las

12. Robert Harris

13. Robert Harris

I knew Edgewater was on the skids towatrds yuppieville when they tore down Palisades Park.

14. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

what's wrong with NJ? there's "bad" areas of ANY state you can think of. i've lived here my whole life. i've lived everywhere from newark to hackettstown.

i see everyone here is talking about the city areas-----try going to western NJ or south jersey. there are plenty of beautiful parts of NJ. you can't let a few bad experiences stand for the whole state.

do you like california? try going through compton some time---might change your view of that state, too. BTW, the only "smelly" part of NJ that everyone talks about is only a 15-20 mile stretch of the NJ turnpike. in that stretch, there are a few oil refineries and garbage dumps. have you been to nyack NY in the summer? smells just as bad as the turnpike.

15. Robert Harris

Don't be so defensive. We won't make fun of you for living in the armpit of the US. Somebody has to. amd better you than me. And that 20-mile stretch of chemical plants and the like is enough to ruin a whole trip.

BTW, California sucks, too -- except for some northern areas. :)

16. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

see? now we just have to get you out to western NJ. you never know, you might like it ;).

17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I see Bob is making new friends again. :p

18. Robert Harris

Been there. Didn't. :)

19. Robert Harris

These guys are ganging up on me. You should defend me. Tell them that NJ isn't so bad. After all it could be worse. They could live in Brooklyn.

20. Violet1966

I remember the park well. Went there for the first 5 years or so of my life all summer long. Dad used to get in with me for free cause he knew everyone. Oh those days were something. I remember seeing it locked up and looking abandonded. Then they tore it down and put up the Winston Towers. Damn condos. Hey best hot dogs in the world in NJ. You have the Fort Lee competition of Callaghans and Hirams. You know the places I'm talking about? Well which dog do you like best? ;)

You go Sc0tt....tell him how it is ;)