1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking question

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Sharondippity, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I have a DSL with a linksys wireless router. I have three computers, one xp home laptop, one xp home desktop, one w2k desktop.

Doing the internet networking was a snap for me.

I'm having trouble doing file sharing, and since I've never bothered to educate myself on the dangers of file sharing, maybe it's a good thing. But, maybe some sage out there has a safe way of accomplishing this.

If there is a safe way, then I'll bother to learn it. I just don't want to waste my time.

Thanks in advance.

2. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

I guess I don't understand your concern Sharon. Is it that you don't want visitors or other users to be able to see files on the other machines...or are you concerned about outsiders being able to get into your machine to see your files?

If its the second then your firewall should be taking care of that concern...If its the first then there are a bunch of things you can do. First would be security privileges. If you have choosen not to share those files with others, then they won't see them...or if you have set up other users in a security grid with less than Admin rights then you can limit their access to what is visible to them or what files they have read only access to ...

need some more info on your concerns.

:)

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

At the very least (as in XP) create or use a folder called "Shared Files" or something that you would know where your files to be shared are residing, and ONLY share those folders on each computer, and drag + drop needed files into that folder.

If you are hung up on HOW to share them, right click on an individual folder and choose "Sharing and Security", then you have several optons in there.
    One is to only share the folder with other users of the same computer. The other is to share it on a Network (you need to check this in order to share), and also a choice so that users (you) on another machine (your other computer/laptop,etc) can CHANGE the contents of said shared folders. You will need to check this if you plan on adding/deleting files to those folders across the network.
    You can even re-name the folder's shared name so it will look different than it's original neme on the host computer.
    On the computer you want to read the shared files, you will need to find them in "My Network Places" by doing a search with the path of the folder. Either in "add a Network Place" or "View all Worgroup Computers" and drill down into the path needed, when you get stumped, remember to choose "Choose another network location" AND "Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network".
    You will know what I mean when you get there.

The one thing you do NOT want to do (IMO) would be to share an entire drive. Only share individual folders residing on a drive. (more secure)

But like as mentioned above, if you are behind some sort of router/firewall, the danger of someone from the outside getting into your shared files is greatly minimized. :)

Hope this helps a little;)

4. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Guys,

I think she means file sharing as in Kazaa.
    I could be wrong but that's how I interpreted her question.

5. Sharondippity

doh I was not clear Ken! No I meant file sharing between my computers on my network.

I will try what was posted and see if I still have troubles. I could see the folders under my network places, but when I went to open them it said I didn't have permission. Now how could I "see" them if I didn't have permission. Aaargh. Oh well this is how I learn it right? Trial and error, heavy on the error.. I'll let you know later when I get back from errands. Thanks.

6. Sharondippity

Too easy now! I got it. It's always the littlest thing that hangs me up. For chrissake I can set up all the IP and DNS settings just fine and update firmward but I get hung up on frikken damn "add a network place" in xp how damn easy is that now that I got it !
    thanks!

7. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Now that you got that figured out, you will notice that you will not be able to access anything in 'C:\Documents and Settings' or in 'C:\Program Files' on another XP Home computer, even if you are logged on to both computers. For some reason, XP is designed that way and I haven't found a workaround.

8. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I have WinXP Pro on my computer and my son's is running WinXP Home and I can access those folders on his computer with no problem from mine.

I set up the LAN with the Home Networking Wizard. And I did have to set the share permissions on those folders before I could get to them though. Despite the cautions about setting up Shares on entire drives, I have done so, but I have strict rules set up in both my software firewall and on the router to only allow access from the LAN IP addresses of each computer.

9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

My suggestion is to only share what folders you need to share, and if your router has a built-in firewall, block the NetBIOS ports. You can't do this with a software firewall on your computer because then other people on the network won't be able to access your computer.

FrankF: To fix that you first have to go to My Computer. Right click FrankF's Documents, and click sharing and security. Check share this folder on a network, and your all set.

10. Sharondippity

I am having trouble getting the Win2K machine to share. My XP sees the network place, but when I go to open the folder from my xp machine, the error message it gives me says I do not have permission and "not enough server storage space to process the command"

my windows 2k machine has a 12 gig hard drive and 5 of it free.

I am able to share properly between my laptop and desktop both with windows xp home.

11. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

on the win2k machine..

my computer right click
    manage
    shared folders/shares
    right click on the share name
    properties

check the share permissions and security
    to make sure you can do what you want to do on that machine.

12. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Doesn't XP share everything by default? Win2k (and NT) do. They create a hidden share called drive letter$ that allows access to the entire drive. (Something like \\mycomputer\c$, for example.)

13. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Thanks Techie2000!
    I hadn't tried that before. ... I just assumed because "Documents and Settings" and "Program Files" are the only share protected folders in XP and that I had been told that there was no way to share them... it must be true.

I tried your suggestion and found that "Documents and Settings" and all subfolders can be shared. And folders within "Program Files" can be shared, but not the whole "Program Files" folder itself (all options are greyed out).

Still I made major progress in doing what I wanted to do. Thanks!

14. IamZed

IamZed ...

A coworker told me he reads the IPs of people that repeatedly ping him and attack them with the previously mentioned \c$ if their computer has anything at all shared with out strict permissions defined. He just spends the evenings reading other peoples hard drives. If you dont feel comfortable simply unshare things when not exchanging files.

15. jamming

jamming Banned

Actually IamZed, he can do that only have Netbios available shares, trying that on a protected computer it will just sit there say "I am not listening to you and I sure ain't gonna send you anything." My Computer has a rather strange accent. I won't go into all the details but between my DSL/Router being lcked up tighter than a drum and my Security Software Tools, he wouldn't even know I was there.

16. EMIG

EMIG Yup

IIRC, you cannot unshare the hidden shares (like c$). You should be fine if you're behind a router that does NAT.

17. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Sharon

Here's and excellent LINK on networking and file sharing. A good one to add to favorites.

Check the Win2K section and the WinXP Home (or Prof). These guys spell it out really well. I have used this before to get the Win2K machines talking nicely..heheheh

18. jamming

jamming Banned

Yes, my NAT Router is nice amongst other things.

19. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Sure you can--but when you reboot, it will automatically by shared again. Unless you want to edit the registry settings.

SM

20. Sharondippity

Hey, I found out my answer on google of all places..:

Here's what I did, and this is what fixed it:

Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type regedit and then click OK.
    Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    In the right pane, delete the value IRPStackSize. If you delete this value Lanman Server will not have any limits.
    Close the Registry Editor.
    Restart the computer.

found on this site's entry