1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Mandela has died

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Allene, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

2. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I've been watching everyone falling over themselves praising Mandela; even on NFL football yesterday. Doesn't anyone remember the torture and executions (look up "necklacing") by his group the ANC? So far it hasn't been mentioned in the news including Fox.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Although Mandela's wacko wife Winnie gave implicit support to the practice, the ANC condemned it.

(this space reserved for "yeah right, Brian, the ANC condemned necklacing, wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

I was equally surprised to see no mention of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which I associate with Mandela much more strongly than the practice of necklacing.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

5. SixofNine

Perhaps it was the 27 years in prison. He did say some goofy things when he was finally released, but considering what he went through and what could have happened when apartheid collapsed, I'm willing to grant him a few goofy statement chits.

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I still don't regard him as one of the free world's heroes.

He did fight for the freedom of millions of his people in South Africa. But then he buddied up to communist tyrants. You can do so much good, and then so much bad. With people like Mandela, they want to only look at the good, but that would be revistionist history.

I tend to draw the line when it comes to some of them. Like the way Obama fawned over Hugo Chavez. I was embarassed about that one.

7. Sierra Mike

That's just it, though. He actually went through a period of overt, extremist racism. He emerged from it as someone who was supposed to be able to divine the true ills in a society, and perhaps, a person. Yet he blew up that trust simply because a couple of guys he didn't like were doing things that he frowned upon, and he pulled the race card. I expect that from Sharpton. Johnny Cochran demonstrated he was all too happy to do so, at will. But Mandela?

Couldn't give him a bye on that one.

8. Sierra Mike

Looking forward to what the Mayor-Elect of NYC will do to top that. If he were to accept a facial from Castro's entire family in the middle of Times Square, I would not be surprised.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I find this deliciously ironic, and indicative of everything that's screwed up about Africa.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/outrage-over-sign-language-interpreter-madiba-memorial-082056835.html

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

Good grief! I didn't watch the memorial service, but if I had done so, I'd have had closed captioning turned on. Captioning might not have been available for the people who were actually in attendance though, and even if it had been available, it's still not right to use a let's-pretend interpreter.

11. Copzilla

Michael Berry is a semi-famous talk show host here in Houston, and he has a number of other markets. He was talking about this today on his show while I was on my way into work, and what a zoo the rest of the proceedings were, like Obama flirting with Danish prime minister, and the Michelle Obama getting obviously pissed about it and making B.O. change seats, and about Obama shaking hands with Castro, and all the other nonsense going on.

Look at this -

BbKKqT1CUAEiG_Y.jpg

Okay, maybe/maybe not appropriate for the president to kiss another lady on the world stage, right in front of his wife, but a peck on the cheek is kinda European.

But then...

untitled.png

WTF selfies at a world funeral, really? I guess he's thinking Tiger Woods had Elen, maybe he could score a Dane too. But obviously Michelle isn't amused.

Notice the new seating position? Somebody is pissed.

BbK8aeVCQAICkn2.jpg

Oh, I'm sorry Michelle, I kissy your hand.

What a gigantic clusterf...

You know, it started me thinking about everything he has done. If you compile it all together, his presidency has been one major piece of crap gaffe, embarassment, or mismanagement after another.

Bowing to other nation's presidents, not once but like a half dozen times before someone finally told him to knock it off
    Fast and Furious
    Benghazi fiasco, refusal to send help
    AND the arrest and blaming it on an American citizen. WTF is this country, Sudan?
    IRS targeting conservatives
    Glorifying Hugo Chavez
    Obamacare is a hot mess
    Shaming the Supreme Court in a SOTU address
    Shaking hands with Castro
    Culling phone records of AP reporters
    Montoring a Fox News reporter
    NSA spying
    Pigford
    Solyndra
    Failing to prosecute voter suppression by NBPP
    Suppression of the press, photo ops
    Refusal to order the shot on terrorists off the coast of Somalia, where a Navy captain decided to anyway

I mean, one issue after another. Who the SAM F*** is this guy? And how on earth can people continue to defend him?

Sierra Mike likes this.
  12. Sierra Mike

No kidding. But maybe we can get a list from some of his supporters of the good things he's done.

Not that it would be a big list, or anything.

Never thought I'd miss W so much. (And of course, as the president who did the absolute most for Africa, he gets booed at the memorial service, while a poseur like Obama is feted with cheers of adoration.)

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

I saw the selfie elsewhere, but the other two photos are a first for me. Good grief! It was a memorial service! I didn't know Bush got booed. I'm beginning to wonder about this service. It's starting to sound like a three-ring circus.

14. Copzilla

Honestly, I have serious doubts about his involvement with the killing of Bin Laden. Look, he declined orders to go three times before, and his closest confidante is Valerie Jarrett, a known Muslim and radical.

I think Hillary orchestrated the whole thing, kept it from him until point of no return, and was the beginning of the end for her in the WH. He forgave it because it wound up being the best thing possible for his presidency. After all, ask any liberal his accomplishments and they say Bin Laden. That is the end of the list.

But following Benghazi, which I think he DID order the stand down, Hillary went zerker rage on him and contemplated outing his bullshit. She ultimately took the Party line like a good Democrat and ate some shit, in hopes Americans have a short memory come 2016.

That's what I think, anyway.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it turns out you are right.

16. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good to see the Secret Service is still playing amateur hour...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...translator-Nelson-Mandelas-memorial-FAKE.html

17. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Here's the thing about Mandela. Watching South Africa switch to the ANC government filled me with dread about the blood bath that would evolve. Regardless of Mandela's other accomplishments he prevented that. That gets some good points in my book.

18. SixofNine

Agreed, Shiny. He could have gone all "Mugabe," but instead he made reconciliation a policy, not just a platitude.

19. Copzilla

Jimmy Kimmell brings out a real sign language interpreter to say what the fake sign language is actually saying. Hysterical.

20. SixofNine

"Hello, welcome, so far." I think I'm going to use that. :D