1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I work at a major transfer station for a power company. The building I work in is basically one big Faraday Cage. I have a cordless 2.4 GHz phone that works in most places inside the building, however, the second I step outside into the switch yard, it's kaput. No signal to the base station.

What I need is the capability to communicate to the base station, receive phone calls, and be able to dial certain critical numbers related to the site regardless of my location on the premises. Is there a portable/cordless phone that can do this?

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

3. Biker

So this will be pretty much unaffected by the massive interference created by the transformers?

4. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

maybe not the answer you want, but can you get them to buy a cell phone? with the interference, it might be your only option......

5. Biker

Cell phone won't suffice. I need to be able to dial certain in house numbers that will only work on my extension.

6. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

If this were an RF device a repeater placed in the yard would likely solve your issue.

However I have not seen a repeater type of device that is available for cordless phones.

You might be able to place a second base station tied to the same line in the yard but of course it would have to be shielded from the elements and be hard wired back to the phone line you're utilizing.

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

dunno - buy it, try it, if it doesnt work return it.

;)

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

5.8 GHz might just do the trick. The higher frequency is less susceptible to the EMI, but certainly not immune. What you need to determine is whether it's the signal that's getting whacked or the electronics in the phone.

9. Biker

Suspect it's the signal as a cell phone will work in most places in the switch yard. Standing next to one of the huge transformers does cause the cell signal to drop considerably, but a signal is still obtainable. Since the base station is in the Faraday Cage, I would hazard a guess that the interference from the transformers are interferring with the signal rather than the electronics.