1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need shockwave help

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Robert Harris, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I need some advice from someone who knows more than I do -- which should be about anyone.

Over in the Creative thread you get to make a mini-movie. Everybody who has done one is posting the following kind of URL, which is supposed to show you the movie. This is for mine.

http://mm.dfilm.com/mm2s/mm_route.php?id=711040

There are now about 10 of these things posted and I cannot see any of them. I connect to the URL but the movie does not show (it is for shockwave). Here is what happens to me:

When I created the film I was able to play the preview before I e-mailed it to myself. Thus I had a functioning shockwave plug-in in Netscape 6 (my browser) and it worked.

To be sure, I downloaded the latest version, installed it, and checked Netscape/About/Plug-ins and got this:

Installed plug-ins

Shockwave Flash

File name: D:\COMM\NETSCAPE 6\plugins\NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave Flash 6.0 r65

So it is there. And it works -- for swf files on my hard disk. I can play those with no problem. I double click on one and it opens a new Netscape window, loads and runs the file.

But I get absolutely nothing by going to the URLs for these films. I can connect to the URL where my film is stored (or click on the links for other people's) But I don't get a film. A Netscape window opens, says it is connecting to the site, then says transferring data from the site (but this is a very short message, only a couple fo seconds it seems, so it does not transmit much data), then gives message that it is "starting plug-in for type application/x-shockwave-flash."

Then I get a blank screen, nothing shows. The film does not load and play.

I have no idea what is going on, or how to fix it. Bah!

Help, please.

Thanks.

2. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Sorry no one answered Bob,

I know as much as you so may not be much help.

One thing you can try is to delete the active X control plug-ins for shockwave and flash and go to

www.macromedia.com/download/

and re-download both programs.

Maybe someone else has a better way...

3. Robert Harris

Thanmks. I'll try something.

4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

5. Robert Harris

Thanks. Useful sites, V. It is clear from them that I have to do some fiddling. Have to uninstall whatever shock stuff I now have and reinstall, for starters. (In 3 browsers.) Hope that works.

What a PITA. These movies better be worth it. :)