1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need MOBO Recommendation

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Coot, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I'm going to upgrade a machine for a friend, and we're currently looking at the Soyo SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra, and yes RAID is a requirement.

Anyone have any experience with this board or have a recommendation for a comparable board?

Specs can be found at Soyo's website

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I'm not familiar with Soyo MOBO's. However, it appears to be a pretty nice board.

Another one to check out would be the Asus A7V8X. I think I saw this one at newegg for $130.

3. -Ken

-Ken Guest

If I had to choose between Soyo and Asus, I would choose Asus without a second thought.

4. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I built a PC with an Asus board (A7V266) a little over a year ago. (Ooops! Is my geekyness showing again?) It has done really well. Some VIA chipsets need a little tweaking in order to get along with certain components, but it's not impossible.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Also for the ASUS.

Spec Sheet

6. Coot

Just looking at the pics of the two boards, the Asus looks to have quite a bit more room around the cpu socket to get the heatsink attached. I've only built one machine with an asus...back in the day of the original A7V. My first choice would be the MSI KT4 Ultra FISR, but he's had a bad experience with MSI, so it's out. I'll try and steer him towards the Asus and see what he thinks.

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I personally like the A7N8X (running the nForce2) chipset. I plan on getting one myself to upgrade Bluebird (my machine).

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Based on my own and many of my coworkers' experiences, I usally recommend boards from either Asus or Abit. I have heard nothing bad about Soyos, though. I am usually very careful with things like computer components as I do not believe in going "cheap." Asus and Abit have never disappointed me. A coworker of mine just recently build a new PC using an Asus A7V8X board, and he loves it.

9. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

What are your requirements Coot???

maybe we could make more suggestions then..

And what is the reason for the Raid Config??...just curious

I like the Soyo boards and also really like MSI too..

10. Coot

He just wants the fastest and the latest and greatest AMD. As to the need for RAID 1, he needs the redundancy. His existing system is already RAID 1 on two 80GB ATA133 drives that will get reused. He claims he's a financial advisor....I think he's a bookie ;)

11. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

hehehehehehhe...must be the latest buzz word for the new millenium...

I think that "financial advisor" should also check into some encryption software to protect "his clients proprietary info"
    hehehehehe

Let me see what I see on the AMD mb...Shuttle and ASUS are always rock solid choices..and the SOYO is just as good...looking for some speed tests now..

12. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Heres a couple of links that may help you out.

This first LINK shows a graph of some different mb's, features, chipset, and overall ranking. It looks like these folks like the Gigabyte and ASUS boards for the KT400 chipsets and the SOYO dragon and ASUS A7V (great board, company sux for return DOA's).

The next LINK likes the ABIT and SOYO for the KT400 chipset.

It looks like they are all pretty close and I think the RAID version of any of them would be equally as close. Suppose it's just which name you feel more comfortable with..heheheheh

Don't think that helped much. You ready to flip a coin yet???;)

13. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

i'm using the soyo fire dragon right now. it's been a great board----never a problem with it. it has LAN, 6 channel sound, raid, plenty of USB, supports DDR, and it's red :).

the only thing i don't like is the fact that it doesn't overclock for s**t, and the USB is 1.0. my next board will be the Abit IT7 MAX2 V.2. has all the above, plus serial ATA, USB 2.0, and it overclocks like a mofo from what i've read. i hear the thing is rock solid stable, too.

14. Coot

This Article, from Toms Hardware, dated Oct. 2002 doesn't think the DDR400 feature is quite ready for prime time yet. It seems there is an issue with the stability of the PC3200 ram at CL2. It looks like I'm going to suggest that he wait a bit and see if there are some board revisions that will deal with the latency a bit better.

15. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Toms is probably right Coot. P4 System I did last week was an MSI6585. This thing is loaded with options from complete over clockability to onboard gigabyte ethernet support, to 6 channel audio and 8X agp.....but it still only support ddr333 and thats ok.

Time for some real hard choices Coot...and worst part is...there does not seem to be a clear cut winner in the pack...they all look good...hehehehhee

16. Coot

We actually talked about this board this morning. Decision? He ordered the deluxe version this morning as the two SATA ports can be used for RAID. From the pics of the thing, the cpu installation will be a bit of a pain as there's a boatload of caps right next to the socket. Of course it's kind of hard to tell as it appears the pic at newegg is not the deluxe version.